Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch series 1 keeps restarting after 4.2 update

Since I updated my apple watch series 1 to watchos 4.2 it keeps restarting alone mostly every time i check time or try to use it and its killing the battery in the process. I restored it as a new watch and it keeps doing the same thing. Any tips?

Apple Watch, watchOS 4.2

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 10:36 AM

Hi

It is certainly not normal for your Apple Watch to restart unexpectedly.

Whilst I can't say why that has been happening, the following steps may help to stop if from happening again (check performance after each before moving on to the next):

If you have not yet done so, update both your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest software, starting with your iPhone:

Close all apps and restart both your iPhone and your Apple Watch (normally):

Unpair and re-pair your watch:

Remove apps and watch face complications:

If the issue then persists, I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

44 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2017 10:36 AM in response to othoncll

Hi

It is certainly not normal for your Apple Watch to restart unexpectedly.

Whilst I can't say why that has been happening, the following steps may help to stop if from happening again (check performance after each before moving on to the next):

If you have not yet done so, update both your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest software, starting with your iPhone:

Close all apps and restart both your iPhone and your Apple Watch (normally):

Unpair and re-pair your watch:

Remove apps and watch face complications:

If the issue then persists, I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

Dec 16, 2017 4:48 AM in response to johnnygee

As I hoped to explain in my previous reply, if the issue persists after following all of the suggested steps, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

Feb 7, 2018 6:52 AM in response to drwjs

drwjs wrote:

.. Apple, please come clean about this if it is a software glitch and tell us how to go back to the previous version of software until your engineers can come up with a fix. Thanks

It is not possible to downgrade watchOS.

Note also that you are not talking to Apple here - this is a user-based technical support community.

In addition to the steps suggested in my previous reply, it may help to test by turning off notifications for third-party apps and testing performance after re-enabling them one at a time:

If the issue persists, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

Jan 8, 2018 11:43 PM in response to othoncll

I have the same issue too both on my two series 2 apple watches after updating to watch os 4.2.

I tried many solutions that I found on the internet like repairing the watch, erasing the watch, uninstalling all the 3rd party apps, erasing the iphone, all of them dont solve the problem. The watch will begin randomly restarting since u first put it on the charger.

Since the first time I found out putting the watch on the charger after repairing the watch will make the watch misbehave. The only change on the watch is the "music syncing" action...

Try stopping all the music sycning may solve the random rebooting problem on watch os 4.2, hopefully.

Please report if this method works

Thank you!!

User uploaded file

Feb 7, 2018 6:46 AM in response to 7NINE3

Hi 7NINE3,

I have another post that I posted two days ago in another thread that is much longer than this one, it is the steps that I have done to get it working. It has been a week with no reboots (that I am aware of) and the battery lasting for an entire day as it always did before.

Check it out here on the last page from Feb 5th: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8076988

I would try it, let me know what happens. I was asked to send mine in and I tried this first. I have not sent it in.

Dec 15, 2017 2:29 PM in response to othoncll

I'm having the same problem with a Series 2, which worked fine before the WatchOS 4.2 update, so I doubt it's a hardware problem. I've unpaired the watch, erased all contents and set it up as a new watch but the problem persists. I have no third party apps installed and I've turned off all notifications.

The watch is absolutely useless to me now due to the frequent random rebooting.

Dec 19, 2017 2:14 AM in response to hanigarg

hanigarg wrote:

I am also facing the same issue. Apple should clearly fix this urgently. This is very bad service from company like Apple. I have achieved all the three rings activity for more than 106 days. Due to this error it is in jeopardy. Clearly, there is a bug which needs to be fixed by Apple. Is anyone listening?

As you are facing the same issue, I suggest that you follow the same steps in my previous reply, including contacting Apple Support, making a Genius Bar reservation or visiting an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance if necessary.

You are not talking to Apple here - this is a user-based technical support community.

Dec 19, 2017 11:52 AM in response to othoncll

Hi, I have the same issue with Watch OS 4.2. My watch had been working fine with out a problem. The same Thursday that the new update was released. I updated my watch and from then on it kept of restarting every time I check or move the watch. I restored it back to factory and setting it up as a new watch like yourself that did not fix the issue. I have apple care+ so I called them up and they pretty much wanted me to do the same troubleshooting steps that I had already did. After that they decided that they would send me out an express replacement but at the cost of $70 which is the service fee. I declined it being that my watch had always been working fine before this software update. So I ended up talking to a supervisor who scheduled an Genius Bar appointment for me. I went their and they again said I had to option let them ship the watch out for free from the store which will leave me with out a watch for maybe 2 weeks. Or pay that flat $70 fee and get a new shipped to me. I choose to send mine to get fixed. It’s an $800 Watch which had no issues till this update. They ended up replacing my watch with a new one. But at the Apple store they weren’t able to tell me what was fixed and what was found wrong. The new watch was on watch OS 4.1 I figured if they did did something wrong as to why they replace it. Then I should be ok to update it back to watch OS 4.2. Big mistake the watch is doing the same **** thing as before. I’m guessing there is something going on with Watch OS 4.2 that is messing up the watches or even worse breaking something within the hardware. I’m going to contact Apple again cause this is BS for real.

Dec 20, 2017 3:58 PM in response to othoncll

I also had this problem after I updated to 4.2. I followed the above suggestions and it didn't fix anything. Finally i noticed that every time I got a notification on my phone is when it would do the restart. I went in and removed all notifications from coming through to the Watch this morning. So far no restarts in the last 8 hours since I did it. I hope this get resolved since notifications on the watch was a selling point for me.

Dec 23, 2017 4:02 AM in response to 7NINE3

Ok guys here’s an update. I did what ohthatgroovyguy suggested turning off all notifications. It didn’t not work the first day I did it. But the following days the watch has been stable. No resets or it draining the battery. I still g t my text messages notifications and it doesn’t restart. So there something going on within the software 4.2 that is conflicting with the notifications. These community are what’s great about technology and those of us that love them. Thanks you ohthatgroovyguy you saved me a lot of headaches. Now Apple need to release a fix ASAP!

Jan 5, 2018 1:58 PM in response to othoncll

Hey,

I've been having the same issue as well, I restored from an old backup from July and after the first charge, that restarting thing would happen. I tried unpairing with that old 4.1 and then later pair with the new ios without a restore and still the same issue. I went to the apple store and they sent in my watch but I didn't answer an email in time and my watch was sent back, this was right before xmas. I got the watch back and had to go through the whole explaining thing and just this past Thursday 12/28 of last week, sent it back again. As of today, 01/05/18 the have my watch and going to TRY and replicate the problem. As a suggestion, you may need to get a video recording to prove that your not crazy. Hopefully they can sort this out with a 4.3 update.

Best,

Steven

Jan 16, 2018 1:39 AM in response to Jonathan UK

I'm almost positive that it’s an issue with notifications. When I take the Watch from its charger in the morning, it's already rebooting most of the times. When it’s back up, there are many notifications in the Notification Center (should be all the missed notifications from the night), but it seems like the Watch can’t handle it. It’s often times restarting when I try to delete them all at once and even if it works, it still shows the red dot even though there are no more notifications displayed. And usually a few minutes after that, some of the old notifications from the night come through in bunches. Just strange why everything is fine sometimes and a day later the issue is back.

Apple watch series 1 keeps restarting after 4.2 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.