Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X lens cracked

I can see a few people have also had their iPhone X camera lens crack !!!! My was bought on a Thursday and instantly put into a case and had a glass screen protector fitted, by the end of the weekend my lens had a crack in it and then the next day a complete hole around the lens !!! No drops, no keys or coins in my pockets nothing.... same story from apple only complete phone replacement at a cost of $750.... obviously there is a flaw in the lens glass.... I’ve owned every iPhone since 2007 and ( touch wood ) never cracked a screen and finally to buy the panicle of iPhones only to have it break for no reason after a few days is extremely disappointing....

Posted on Jan 8, 2018 1:11 PM

98 replies

Jan 18, 2018 12:56 PM in response to Crel640

I had my iPhone X a couple of weeks and the glass surrounding the microphone within the camera has cracked. It's an obvious weakness around the microphone as I have not dropped the phone or had it in a pocket with anything. I took it to an Apple store and they classed it as accidental damage. I have had every iPhone since the start and never dropped or damaged any. Hugely disappointing and a potential £400 repair bill.

Sep 2, 2018 5:36 PM in response to Crel640

Bought iPhone X right before Christmas, and found a crack on the rear camera glass last night. The phone has been used with cover all the time and no drop or accident. Went to Apple Store this morning and was told to pay 50% of the retail price to have it fixed. Are you kidding me Apple??? This obviously is a design/material flaw! We are so very disappointed. Currently all family members are using iPhone but with such a bad experience we will switch.

Is anyone from Apple actively monitoring this discussion board?

Mar 14, 2018 6:32 AM in response to lobsterghost1

nope, not at all what I'm describing. What you are referring to is the mic and I'm aware that it's on every iPhone. I've included a picture of what I mean. It was difficult to focus but you get the idea. Looking up close, it almost looks exactly like a rock chip from a windshield. It's definitely not supposed to be there and is clearly a crack.User uploaded file

Feb 10, 2018 5:26 AM in response to skodinio

User uploaded fileKeRim HadzicFeb 9, 2018 8:52 AM in response to Crel640

User uploaded file Level 1 (4 points)

Feb 9, 2018 8:52 AM Re: iPhone X lens crackedin response to Crel640

Same issue here, never dropped, been in a case. Only thing I can think of is that the cold made the glass crack. Have an appointment on Monday with Apple to see what they can do.

Tell us what they said and show them also this thread.

Jan 7, 2019 7:48 AM in response to Crel640

My issue is NOT the dual camera's sapphire glass cover that is cracked...its the actual f2.4 lense that is cracked!

I can only see the crack if I select Portrait mode, or use the 2x zoom feature of normal photo mode.

Portrait Mode f2.4 lense (the bottom most camera under the flash)

And...Normal Photo Mode camera (the top most f1.8 camera)

This is a screenshot...not the photo. To show you all that this is NOT the sappire glass cover. That is fine.

So, how can the internal camera lens become cracked, and Apple Support tell me that its from misuse?

This expensive Phone has *never* been dropped.

Jan 8, 2018 1:30 PM in response to Crel640

Crel640 wrote:

I can see a few people have also had their iPhone X camera lens crack !!!! My was bought on a Thursday and instantly put into a case and had a glass screen protector fitted, by the end of the weekend my lens had a crack in it and then the next day a complete hole around the lens !!! No drops, no keys or coins in my pockets nothing.... same story from apple only complete phone replacement at a cost of $750.... obviously there is a flaw in the lens glass.... I’ve owned every iPhone since 2007 and ( touch wood ) never cracked a screen and finally to buy the panicle of iPhones only to have it break for no reason after a few days is extremely disappointing....

I had my X fall out of my pants pocket face on a cement while I was eating outside a restaurant patio.

I feared my X was a goner, but flipped it over and not a scratched or dent on my screen.

I had no screen protector or case on my phone either and nothing happen.

Feb 1, 2018 12:48 PM in response to fangfromaustin

fangfromaustin wrote:

Bought iPhone X right before Christmas, and found a crack on the rear camera glass last night. The phone has been used with cover all the time and no drop or accident. Went to Apple Store this morning and was told to pay 50% of the retail price to have it fixed. Are you kidding me Apple??? This obviously is a design/material flaw! We are so very disappointed. Currently all family members are using iPhone but with such a bad experience we will switch.

Is anyone from Apple actively monitoring this discussion board?

Please go read the term of service you signed up for and that will answer your question about Apple

Feb 1, 2018 12:56 PM in response to fangfromaustin

fangfromaustin wrote:

Not sure what is that supposed to mean. Do you work for Apple? Your iPhone fell out of your pocket and didn't break doesn't mean that won't happen to others (not mentioning in my case there was no drop or accident). We've had six iPhones so far the iPhone X is the only one having the issue.

Nobody in this user to user technical forum works for Apple. if you read the term of service when you signed up then you would no there is NO APPLE here monitoring these forums.

Feb 6, 2018 4:37 PM in response to OrtizOnline

OrtizOnline wrote:

I’m having the same exact issue. Expensive case on the phone; never dropped it. The glass around the microphone hole of the lens has caved in. Apple wants $550 to replace the device. We deserve free replacements for this defect.

Good luck with that. You say you've not dropped your phone? It's highly likely someone did.

iPhone X lens cracked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.