📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iOS 18 is now available

Customize your iPhone in more ways than ever, stay connected with friends and family, and relive your favorite moments. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are text messages disappearing

When I turn my phone off then turn it on later there is a text message on the lock screen but when I unlock the phone it is gone

Posted on Jan 25, 2018 11:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2018 2:38 PM

This has been happening to me for a while now. At first I wasn't sure, but now it is clear that the messages are disappearing. I get a notification, I look at my phone, I see a text and can read the initial section, I unlock my phone, the text is nowhere to be found. This is happening for work and has lead to several upset clients and lost business. Please help solve this.

80 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 26, 2018 2:38 PM in response to kbryant823

This has been happening to me for a while now. At first I wasn't sure, but now it is clear that the messages are disappearing. I get a notification, I look at my phone, I see a text and can read the initial section, I unlock my phone, the text is nowhere to be found. This is happening for work and has lead to several upset clients and lost business. Please help solve this.

Feb 19, 2018 7:12 AM in response to mdesignffm

NO. The problem is that it is NOT showing in the Messages app. The same problem is happening randomly for me. If the phone is OFF, and then turned on, a text message may show on the lock screen/notification area, but when the phone is unlocked and you go to the Messages app, the text message that you just saw on the lock screen is NOT there.

Mar 30, 2018 7:58 AM in response to dianefromva

There’s a way to hack the problem and correct it. I have learned that you can put your phone on airplane mode at night or whenever you want to essentially turn it off. This disconnects it from the Internet and its ability to receive messages So you can sleep or not get interrupted.

Once you put in your passcode and turn off the airplane mode in settings, your text messages show up, even the ones from Android users.

Hopefully, this will help any of you who have the same issue that I did with my 6s iPhone.

Mar 30, 2018 8:18 AM in response to otheriau

It's the same with Verizon. As far as they are concerned, my phone DID receive the messages. I can go online and login to my Verizon Wireless account and can see a history of all text messages that were sent to me. I can see the date/time and the sender's number. Unfortunately, I can not see the text/content of the message. It is forever lost.

This is super awkward because I use fingerprint/Touch ID to unlock my phone once I turn the phone back on. There have been times where I just very briefly see the glimpse of a text message on the lock screen once it lights up and I have entered my passcode before it sends me to the Home screen. The text message never arrives (as we all have been noting in this discussion). I then have to login to Verizon Wireless online and look up my history to see who texted me. I then have to text them back and say, 'Hey, did you txt me? Because my phone is malfunctioning and I'm not properly receiving text messages'.

Mar 27, 2018 9:33 AM in response to dianefromva

I've found that this issue is unfortunately difficult to reproduce.

Pre-conditions:

1. The iPhone must be OFF.

2. At some point in time when the iPhone is off, you must receive a text message.

The problem is that (for me) the issue doesn't always happen for every txt message. It seems to happen more with non-Apple txt messages than with iPhone iMessages.

I have tested this several times but have not been able to reproduce on my own. I do this by turning my iPhone off, asking someone to txt me and then turning the iPhone back on, and in each of my tests, the messages show on the lock screen and then appear (as expected) in the Messages app. I have not identified the pattern for what causes certain txt messages to disappear (not show up in the Messages app). These tests have all been using iMessages sent from a different iPhone though.

Apr 14, 2018 9:29 AM in response to smoke470

I’ve been having the exact same problem but it only started recently (that I’m aware of) I’m on an iPhone 6 and Verizon and usually update my software as soon as I get an update notice, so now I’m on the latest and it just happened again this morning....I lost 3 more! I’ll turn the phone on in the morning and see that there are texts but as soon as I enter my password they are gone (and no, they are not in the app). This is critical in that I run a home care business and the texts are frequently from clients or caregivers....the other day I missed one from a caregiver saying they couldn’t go to work and I didn’t know it until I got an irate call from the client that no one was there.....this is literally a matter of life and death! I guess for now I’ll just stop turning my phone off, but there has to be a better answer....anyone? APPLE? Please help!

Mar 29, 2018 7:26 PM in response to kbryant823

The same thing is happening to me for a while now. At least couple months. I have an IPhone 7 with IOS 11.2.6. During work, I have to leave my cell phone in my car and I usually kept it off.

At first, I did not even notice the notifications. People around me were asking why I wasn't responding to text messages I never saw. They were not in the message app either. I contacted Telus and they could not help me since their servers were saying that I received all the messages. The next days after work, I paid more attention to my phone while I was unlocking it with my finger prints and I was sometimes able to see text message notifications. But right after the unlock, all these messages were gone for good. This is a really annoying. Apple has to fix this. I don't turn off my IPhone anymore to make sure I don't miss important text messages.

Mar 23, 2018 6:08 AM in response to anthonyfrombeeston

This just happened to me AGAIN yesterday. The symptoms were a bit different so I've listed them below. I am on Verizon with iPhone 6s.

1. iPhone is off-->Turn on iPhone.

2. On the lock screen, I can see that I have 2 new text messages (amongst some other notifications like Google News). One text is from a friend that has an iPhone, the other is from a friend that does not have an Apple phone. I can see/read the content of both messages from the lock screen as well as see the sender's number.

3. Unlock phone--> I can see there is the red badge on the Messages app with a 2 (so far so good).

4. Open Messages app. No new messages are showing (uh oh).

5. Within 2 or 3 seconds, one of the messages 'arrives' with a banner notification at the top of the screen and a new text message appears in Messages with the blue dot next to it showing that is it new. It is the text from the friend with the iPhone (iMessage). I am able to open and read it.

6. The other txt message I saw on the lock screen NEVER arrived! Because I looked at and read the message from the lock screen, I was able to remember what he said and reply to his text, but his original text message is NOT showing in my Messages app.

This is ridiculous. I am going to have to take a pad and paper and re-write down the sender and content of all text messages that show on my lock screen because I have no confidence that when I unlock my phone that they will actually show up in my Messages app!

Why are text messages disappearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.