Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update itunes 12.7.3

For some reason, I'm unable to update iTunes to the latest version (12.7.3). iTunes tells me to update, I click download now & it opens in my internet (instead of like every other time when it's just downloaded within iTunes itself). It opens a webpage (iTunes - Download iTunes Now - Apple) where I choose Download Now 64-Bit & it then takes me to another page (iTunes - Download iTunes - Thank You - Apple) yet no download commences & hence no update. I'm clearly missing something!!!! Welcome any advice. My computer is operating Windows 10. Many thanks for your time.

Posted on Jan 25, 2018 8:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2018 5:19 PM

Get more help

If you still see the error message, try using the Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall Utility.

1. Make sure you have the latest Windows updates installed.
  2. Visit the Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall Utility website.
  3. Click Download. If the utility doesn’t open automatically, open it from your downloads folder. The utility's name will start with MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.
  4. On the first screen of the utility, click Next.
  5. When asked if you're having problems installing or uninstalling a program, select Uninstalling.
  6. Select the program that you want to uninstall.
  7. Click Next.
  8. When asked if you want to Uninstall and cleanup, select "Yes, try uninstall."The utility tries to uninstall the program. Depending on the size of the software package the utility is trying to uninstall and the speed of the your computer, the uninstall process might take five minutes or more. If the utility is successful, you'll see a "Troubleshooting is complete" message.
  9. Close the utility.
  10. Repeat steps 2 through 9 for each program that you can't uninstall.

After you uninstall all Apple Software, reinstall iTunes or iCloud for Windows.

If you still experience issues, contact Apple support:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2018 5:19 PM in response to liv0123

Get more help

If you still see the error message, try using the Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall Utility.

1. Make sure you have the latest Windows updates installed.
  2. Visit the Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall Utility website.
  3. Click Download. If the utility doesn’t open automatically, open it from your downloads folder. The utility's name will start with MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.
  4. On the first screen of the utility, click Next.
  5. When asked if you're having problems installing or uninstalling a program, select Uninstalling.
  6. Select the program that you want to uninstall.
  7. Click Next.
  8. When asked if you want to Uninstall and cleanup, select "Yes, try uninstall."The utility tries to uninstall the program. Depending on the size of the software package the utility is trying to uninstall and the speed of the your computer, the uninstall process might take five minutes or more. If the utility is successful, you'll see a "Troubleshooting is complete" message.
  9. Close the utility.
  10. Repeat steps 2 through 9 for each program that you can't uninstall.

After you uninstall all Apple Software, reinstall iTunes or iCloud for Windows.

If you still experience issues, contact Apple support:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

Jan 28, 2018 12:59 AM in response to liv0123

Tried that, however it just puts me back to square one. I've attached screen shots of what I face. First website (as per original post) is webpage 1. I click 64 bit there, then it takes me to the second attachment (webpage 2) & when I click download in this second webpage (as per your instructions) it just takes me back to the first webpage. There is nothing downloading. Nothing in my download folder.User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Jan 28, 2018 3:46 AM in response to SmurfinMoo

SmurfinMoo wrote:

Thanks so much for your suggestion, I really appreciate it. I tried to download & install via the website you provided, however just got an error message "There is a problem with this windows installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

That error is usually caused by a sticky copy of Apple Software Update.

Try repairing Apple Software Update from the Programs and Features control panel, then uninstall it before trying to reinstall iTunes. If it won't repair try the Microsoft troubleshooting utility mentioned in note 1 of the following guide. If it still won't uninstall you can remove all Apple components that will uninstall then use the steps in Install missing components to install everything apart from Apple Software Update.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. When reinstalling right click on the downloaded setup file and use run as administrator. It may also help to temporarily disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Jan 27, 2018 8:26 PM in response to javaliga

Thanks so much for your suggestion, I really appreciate it. I tried to download & install via the website you provided, however just got an error message "There is a problem with this windows installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

I will now try to remove & reinstall iTunes in the hope that will do the trick.

I'll be back in touch if no luck. Again, thank you 🙂

Jan 27, 2018 9:03 PM in response to javaliga

Unfortunately, following the steps to remove iTunes & all components didn't work either! I went to try & install iTunes & ended up with the same issue as I detailed in my initial question (just go to a download page, hit download & get taken to another page where nothing happens). So now I have no iTunes (at least before I had iTunes ... just an un-updated iTunes!!)

Please help!

Jan 28, 2018 1:13 AM in response to SmurfinMoo

Hi there,

Those are the screens I see too.

I tried it just now and clicked on the small blue link/download button in the right hand corner but only after it pulled up download page again, and I clicked on 64 bit once again, then went to the "Thank you" page the second time, and finally I noticed the download appeared in the lower left corner. Thought I was in a loop for a second, but then I saw the download option the second time. It's like it had to make me go through a process twice...odd, but it worked.

I had just updated mine from the App however with no problems, so I ran this one to test and discarded it.

Hope you get yours through ~

Jan 28, 2018 9:55 AM in response to SmurfinMoo

I have this identical problem, compounded by the fact that I have a new iPhone X which will only interact with the latest version of iTunes. I've tried all/most of the solutions printed here plus I called Apple Support. Very helpful (not!). I was told to uninstall the current version of iTunes and then install the latest version. Still received the same old "There is a problem with this windows installer package..." The fellow on the support desk finally said I should speak to the iTunes for Windows department. He could not provide a contact or a handoff. So, now I had no solution plus I had no iTunes on my computer and hundreds of purchased and transferred tracks were orphans. Finally, I found the page with all versions of iTunes. Starting at the beginning I tried every version without success until I reached V 12.5.5.5 which installed without a problem. So, now I have access to my music library but still have no syncing capabilities for my new iPhone.

Jan 28, 2018 4:48 PM in response to andyross

Thank you, I did try Edge & ended up with a similar result as per firefox. However, I did try right clicking on the download now 64 bit & chose to open in new window & the download then started. No idea why, but was happy to finally get it to download. However, as per my replies to tt2, you can see I now have an issue installing iTunes. I've been able to download it, but now it won't install as per error message I detailed yesterday. Frustrating to say the least.

Jan 28, 2018 5:55 PM in response to liv0123

You're spot on with your answer. I ended up downloading a program IObit uninstaller as I felt like the normal uninstall (that I'd done twice!!) just wasn't removing everything. Completing the IObit uninstaller, then installing (as administrator) has worked. I got iTunes back onto my computer, although my heart dropped when I opened iTunes & it wanted me to install the latest version (12.7.3) which is what started this whole mess! Fortunately this time though, the update happened within the iTunes program itself (which is how every other update has happened!).

Thank you everyone for your help, really do appreciate it 🙂

Can't update itunes 12.7.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.