Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone x - water damage??

My new iPhone x got black screen. the phone is working, but screen doesn't, I went to Apple and they told me that my phone got a water damage because you can see water inside the back camera lens,

the sad thing is - I didn't even use the phone in water, a day before it's stop working it was a raining day and the phone got few water drops, I thought the new iPhone x is water resistant, now they want to charge me for new phone,

can I do anything here??

iPhone X, iOS 11.2

Posted on Jan 25, 2018 8:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2018 7:21 PM

I have the same issue too.

I took it in a 3 ft pool to take pictures, and never submerged it.

My phone stopped working.

Now I'm told I have to pay half the value of the phone to get it replaced. It's an iphone X which is around 2 months old.

You would think an IP67 rating would mean something to Apple. I'm an Apple user since first gen and this is the first time they've been disappointing. A phone that costs so much can have such poor quality. Older Samsungs have a similar rating and have no issues being submerged.

125 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2018 7:21 PM in response to SamuelNY

I have the same issue too.

I took it in a 3 ft pool to take pictures, and never submerged it.

My phone stopped working.

Now I'm told I have to pay half the value of the phone to get it replaced. It's an iphone X which is around 2 months old.

You would think an IP67 rating would mean something to Apple. I'm an Apple user since first gen and this is the first time they've been disappointing. A phone that costs so much can have such poor quality. Older Samsungs have a similar rating and have no issues being submerged.

Mar 10, 2018 2:33 PM in response to Pathar07

Pathar07 wrote:

Am I wrong that Apple claimed ip67 in keynote? Ip67 is not a worry about moisture in from humidity, ip67 is a submerged equipment.

There is nothing in the warranty that guarantees water resistance, and Apple specifically disavows it.

About splash, water, and dust resistance of iPhone 7 and later - Apple Support

Your iPhone is splash, water, and dust resistant and was tested under controlled laboratory conditions with a rating of IP67 under IEC standard 60529. Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions, and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Liquid damage is not covered under warranty.

To prevent liquid damage, avoid these:

• Swimming or bathing with your iPhone
  • Exposing your iPhone to pressurized water or high velocity water, such as when showering, water skiing, wake boarding, surfing, jet skiing, and so on
  • Using your iPhone in a sauna or steam room
  • Intentionally submerging your iPhone in water
  • Operating your iPhone outside the suggested temperature ranges or in extremely humid conditions
  • Dropping your iPhone or subjecting it to other impacts
  • Disassembling your iPhone, including removing screws

Apr 30, 2018 7:01 PM in response to abhi_abishek

abhi_abishek wrote:

Hi,isnt there any options to open up the phone and get the phone repaired at a lower cost?If the damage is minimum then is would cost less right rather than paying 750$.Would apple do a the repair in their service centres??

Water damage can't be reliably repaired and Apple doesn't perform board level repair anyways. Even if the liquid contact indicators are triggered and there's no visible damage, Apple will decline to service an iPhone, but will offer a complete replacement.

Liquid damage to iPhone or iPod isn't covered by warranty - Apple Support

Jun 13, 2018 11:51 PM in response to jwdave.roberts

jwdave.roberts wrote:

If you think it is liabalous then take me to court, I will supply details for you. It is advertised as compliant with IP67, a light shower of rain is not sufficient for a £1200 phone advertised as such to break. In the UK within 3 months of purchase it is up to the manufacturer to prove it was not a manufacturing fault, Apple simply would not comply with this request.

Advertised as meeting IP67 standards at the time of manufacture. It's clearly in the warranty that liquid contact damage is not covered under warranty.

Apple One (1) Year Limited Warranty – (UK and Ireland)

This warranty does not apply:

(d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, fire, liquid contact, earthquake or other external cause;

The advertising for the iPhone X (and other iPhone models built to IP67 specifications) have sufficient fine print. Apple clearly states that it requires controlled laboratory conditions and isn't permanent.

iPhone X - Apple (UK)

2. iPhone X is splash, water, and dust resistant and was tested under controlled laboratory conditions with a rating of IP67 under IEC standard 60529. Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Do not attempt to charge a wet iPhone; refer to the user guide for cleaning and drying instructions. Liquid damage not covered under warranty.

Jul 9, 2018 6:19 PM in response to ejrowland

Emboldening mine:

iPhone X is splash, water, and dust resistant and was tested under controlled laboratory conditions with a rating of IP67 under IEC standard 60529. Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Do not attempt to charge a wet iPhone; refer to the user guide for cleaning and drying instructions. Liquid damage not covered under warranty.

iPhone X - Apple

IEC 60529-2004

Aug 15, 2018 6:44 AM in response to MACROGUARD

To quote Apple:

Your iPhone is splash, water, and dust resistant and was tested under controlled laboratory conditions with a rating of IP67 under IEC standard 60529. Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions, and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Liquid damage is not covered under warranty.

About splash, water, and dust resistance of iPhone 7 and later

Note you will find much the same disclaimer in Samsung's warranty for their waterproof phones.

Apr 22, 2018 7:23 AM in response to SamuelNY

• Product- Iphone X(64gb)
  • issue-The phone is said to be IP67 certified.But it has not even resisted the rain.There was water vapour in the phone after using it in the rain.I have used it in rain only because it has been shown even in the commercial and ad.
  • Now apple service centre claims that water damages are not covered under warranty.
  • I have tried drying the phone using rice bag.But when plugged into my computer for restoring, it shows a 4013 error.
  • Please suggest me what action has to be taken for this issue.

Mar 10, 2018 1:48 PM in response to Pathar07

Pathar07 wrote:

The advertising was ip67. That is not resistance, that is an actual test that it can be submerged up to one meter. That is not sprinkled with water. That would be ip64 or 65

It's not guaranteed and Apple specifically warns against getting one wet or even using in a wet environment like a sauna. The water resistance is reliant on an adhesive that isn't guaranteed in real world conditions. They don't really even advertise it unless you've got an overly enthusiastic sales guy. It's mentioned almost as an aside.

Apr 1, 2018 3:58 AM in response to y_p_w

I think the next time this crops up we need to have the dictionary definitions of "water-resistant" and "water-proof". We've said countless times the two are very much different.

After that, I bet you any money no one will even touch this subject. Some might, but then again, there's the dictionary. Who's going to argue with Merriam-Webster? Just the same as you can't argue with Rand McNally.

iPhone x - water damage??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.