Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cleanup/remove Sound Library files

I need some disk space on my Macbook Pro. My Logic Pro X Sound Library takes up huge amounts of disk space. Also, I think it contains some old legacy stuff that I probably won't use anymore. So I'd like to remove some of the files. How can I do that easily and safely?

I noticed most, if not all, sound library files are located under /Library/Application Support/Logic, but I'm not sure if it's safe to delete files. Will I be able to re-download them? Does the Sound Library Manager create an index of all those files and does that need to be re-created? Also how do the files in that folder map to the hierarchical tree displayed in the Sound Library Manager.

Can anybody help?

Logic Pro X, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), null

Posted on Jan 27, 2018 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2018 6:30 AM

You can definitely download them again anytime.

If you can, try to delete them from the storage manager. Apple Menu > About This Mac. Go to Storage. Click Manage.

Click the Music Creation section. You can see the Instrument Library, Loops Library, and probably Garage Band lessons. Hover over the Apple Loops and click the X and confirm Removal.

You may need to Reindex after deletion (and after reinstall). I've ended up with duplicates sometimes but reindexing fixes it.

Open the Loops library in Logic- click where it says Loop Packs (where you can filter Genres etc) and choose Reindex All Loops.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2018 6:30 AM in response to Stringray

You can definitely download them again anytime.

If you can, try to delete them from the storage manager. Apple Menu > About This Mac. Go to Storage. Click Manage.

Click the Music Creation section. You can see the Instrument Library, Loops Library, and probably Garage Band lessons. Hover over the Apple Loops and click the X and confirm Removal.

You may need to Reindex after deletion (and after reinstall). I've ended up with duplicates sometimes but reindexing fixes it.

Open the Loops library in Logic- click where it says Loop Packs (where you can filter Genres etc) and choose Reindex All Loops.

Cleanup/remove Sound Library files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.