Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Corruption on External HD after High Sierra Update

I have an external HD with a number of partitions on it for different things and one of them is for Time Machine backups from my Macbook Pro. I noticed about a month ago that backups stopped and I began to get corrupted disk errors upon startup. Other partitions appear to be fine, but when I run First Aid through Disk Utility I get the error below.

Any ideas on the issue? Should I reformat and start over or do we think repairing via Disk Utility in safe mode could do it? There's a lot of information on that partition so I'd prefer not to start back up over if I can help it.

Thanks everyone!

---------

Repairing file system.

Volume was successfully unmounted.

Performing fsck_hfs -fy -x /dev/rdisk2s3

Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.

Checking extents overflow file.

Checking catalog file.

Invalid sibling link

Rebuilding catalog B-tree.

The volume MacBackup could not be repaired.

File system check exit code is 8.

Restoring the original state found as mounted.

Problem -69842 occurred while restoring the original mount state.

File system verify or repair failed.

Operation failed…

---------

Posted on Jan 29, 2018 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2018 8:30 AM

That drive is operating in a state of failure.

You are welcome to reformat that volume but the failure is likely to reappear, probably in a very short period of time. The failures will occur with increasing frequency until the drive becomes effectively useless.

It's another reason for needing more than one Time Machine backup, as well as needing separate devices dedicated exclusively for that purpose... not just a partition. Drives have become too inexpensive (and too unreliable) to risk losing all their contents in the event of a failure.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2018 8:30 AM in response to Awparker85

That drive is operating in a state of failure.

You are welcome to reformat that volume but the failure is likely to reappear, probably in a very short period of time. The failures will occur with increasing frequency until the drive becomes effectively useless.

It's another reason for needing more than one Time Machine backup, as well as needing separate devices dedicated exclusively for that purpose... not just a partition. Drives have become too inexpensive (and too unreliable) to risk losing all their contents in the event of a failure.

Disk Corruption on External HD after High Sierra Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.