Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPOD Classic 6th Gen 80GB - Unable to complete Restore in Windows or Mac

Here are the things I have done - multiple times 🙂

1. Windows: Placed the IPOD in DFU mode and completed recovery. This cycle completes every time. However, when the IPOD reboots, iTunes wants to restore. After the restore it would like to restore again. The disk itselw shows in disk management, but cannot initialize or format the drive.

2. Diagnostics show the drive to be healthy. There are about 200 reallocs but both options in the disk diagnostic show results. High temp is around 63.

3. On a Mac, itunes will complete DFU but restore throws a 1430 (sometimes 1431) error.

4. Have taken the drive out and tested independently as a USB drive. The drive will not format.

5. Have placed a working drive in the IPOD and tried the above process. The unit will not restore, and the drive will not format.

6. All the internal cable connections have been re-seated multiple times without any change in outcome.

7. I have also tried to restore with alternate means - EmCore, Rockbox, and others. Same result with the restore part.

At this point it would be fair to assume that the drive is probably bad. However, if a working drive will not lead to a successful restore, could there be some other issues to resolve? All the other diagnostics on the unit complete successfully including the memory, display, wheel and IO ports.

I feel like the IPOD is becoming heavier each day with semblances of a paper weight! Thought I should at least ask the collective. Thanks in advance for a response.

iPod classic, 6th Generation 80GB Version 1.1.2

Posted on Jan 30, 2018 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2018 1:31 PM

Any pendings on top of the reallocs? Max. temp. isn't supposed to get above 50c so it is possible that something fundamental is wrong, but that it doesn't stop the drive from initialising altogether. If it were more broken you'd likely get the Red X icon.

tt2

Similar questions

7 replies

Feb 1, 2018 4:00 AM in response to turingtest2

I agree with you about the drive. As I mentioned in item 4 of my initial post, the drive will not format when I connect it through a usb enclosure to a windows computer.

The more urgent question is do I have a defective motherboard? When I place a good working drive in the IPOD it will still not restore. Could this be caused by a bad docking port? Is there a way to test and confirm this?

IPOD Classic 6th Gen 80GB - Unable to complete Restore in Windows or Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.