Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How install macOS WITHOUT the original Appl

I have been banging my head against the wall about this for a while.

I purchased a second-hand 2008 iMac and it has been working fine for the last 2 years. When I went to update OSX to Sierra, it asked me for the original owner's Apple ID and password. The previous owner clearly did not follow the correct instructions to hand off the computer. I went through the steps to reinstall macOS here:

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

I did all the possible permutations of these steps, including formatting my hard drive. Every time when I tried to reinstall macOS, I was given the error "this item is temporarily unavailable". Browsing the Apple Support forums, it looks like this is because I do not have the original Apple ID. I do not have this information and it will be impossible to get it.

I then tried this workaround and I was not able to access the iCloud page within Safari

Re: this item is temporarily unavailable

This seems like there should be a simple solution.

HOW DO I REINSTALL OSX WITHOUT ACCESS TO THE ORIGINAL APPLE ID AND PASSWORD?

iMac

Posted on Feb 1, 2018 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2018 1:29 PM

That Mac cannot boot to Internet Recovery Mode. The feature was first introduced with Macs that shipped with Lion, 10.7.x.

You don't want the previous owner's information on the Mac at all. Since you don't have the original gray disks, you can purchase the retail version of Snow Leopard from Apple for $20.

Once you get the disk, put it in the drive and restart. Immediately hold down the C key to boot to the disk. As soon as you can get to the top menu bar, choose to run Disk Utility.

In Disk Utility's interface, click on the very far left drive name. Choose the Partition tab at the right. Where the drop down menu says "Current", change it to "1 Partition". You need to do this, otherwise the hidden recovery partition will not be removed from the drive. When you choose 1 Partition, the Options button at the bottom will now be active. Click on that to make sure the partition scheme is GUID. Click Apply. It will only take about 15 seconds to wipe the drive clean.

Exit Disk Utility and choose to install the OS. Once Snow Leopard is installed, the Mac will restart to the hard drive and automatically launch Software Update. Let it install the 10.6.8 update. Uncheck all others. There's no reason to wait for the other updates when you're not staying in Snow Leopard anyway. 10.6.8 will put the App Store on the drive, which is the main reason for applying that particular update.

When that's done, launch the App Store. Login to your account, or create one if you don't already have an account.

Go to this page. Scroll down to the Get OS X El Capitan link. Follow the instructions to download and install El Capitan.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2018 1:29 PM in response to pagepagepage

That Mac cannot boot to Internet Recovery Mode. The feature was first introduced with Macs that shipped with Lion, 10.7.x.

You don't want the previous owner's information on the Mac at all. Since you don't have the original gray disks, you can purchase the retail version of Snow Leopard from Apple for $20.

Once you get the disk, put it in the drive and restart. Immediately hold down the C key to boot to the disk. As soon as you can get to the top menu bar, choose to run Disk Utility.

In Disk Utility's interface, click on the very far left drive name. Choose the Partition tab at the right. Where the drop down menu says "Current", change it to "1 Partition". You need to do this, otherwise the hidden recovery partition will not be removed from the drive. When you choose 1 Partition, the Options button at the bottom will now be active. Click on that to make sure the partition scheme is GUID. Click Apply. It will only take about 15 seconds to wipe the drive clean.

Exit Disk Utility and choose to install the OS. Once Snow Leopard is installed, the Mac will restart to the hard drive and automatically launch Software Update. Let it install the 10.6.8 update. Uncheck all others. There's no reason to wait for the other updates when you're not staying in Snow Leopard anyway. 10.6.8 will put the App Store on the drive, which is the main reason for applying that particular update.

When that's done, launch the App Store. Login to your account, or create one if you don't already have an account.

Go to this page. Scroll down to the Get OS X El Capitan link. Follow the instructions to download and install El Capitan.

Feb 1, 2018 1:07 PM in response to pagepagepage

If the iMac doesn’t have an OS installed, or one less than 10.6, you need to use a disk to install or upgrade the OS.

If the iMac is running 10.6 through 10.6.7, use the Software Update pane of System Preferences or Apple’s website to download 10.6.8.

If the iMac is running 10.6.8 or above, click here.

The message you got typically comes when people try to install or reinstall the OS, not upgrade it.

(157494)

Feb 1, 2018 1:06 PM in response to pagepagepage

You also need at least 2GB of RAM.

From OWC…

Details: *This system can run the last version of OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion", OS X 10.9 "Mavericks", OS X 10.10 "Yosemite" and OS X 10.11 "El Capitan" -- if upgraded to at least 2 GB of RAM, including booting in 64-bit mode. However, it does not support OpenCL nor does it support AirDrop, AirPlay Mirroring (which also requires a 2nd Gen or later Apple TV), Power Nap, or other advanced features. It is not capable of running macOS Sierra (10.12) or subsequent versions of the macOS at all.

How install macOS WITHOUT the original Appl

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.