Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old iPhoto library crash when trying to open in Photos

I have an old iPhotos library from a Time Machine backup on an old macbook. I put into my pictures folder on my current mac, and tried to open it by holding options key and choosing the iPhoto library. It starts loading in photos for a long time, but when it reaches around 70% it crashes. The iPhoto library is 71 gb, but there is 174 gb available on my mac. I can't access this library at all, does any one know how to fix this?

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Feb 3, 2018 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2018 10:33 AM

I have an old iPhotos library from a Time Machine backup on an old macbook. I put into my pictures folder on my current mac,

How did you transfer the the library from the Time Machine backup?

Did you restore it by running Time Machine and clicking Restore, or did you just drag it from the backup drive?

If you did not open Time Machine and use the "Restore" command, try that.

but when it reaches around 70% it crashes.

Is there a crash log? What does it say?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2018 10:33 AM in response to sofiefromcopenhagen

I have an old iPhotos library from a Time Machine backup on an old macbook. I put into my pictures folder on my current mac,

How did you transfer the the library from the Time Machine backup?

Did you restore it by running Time Machine and clicking Restore, or did you just drag it from the backup drive?

If you did not open Time Machine and use the "Restore" command, try that.

but when it reaches around 70% it crashes.

Is there a crash log? What does it say?

Old iPhoto library crash when trying to open in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.