Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8 plus cracked home button

My 3 week old iPhone 8 plus has a cracked home button! I left it charging and when I came back it had "Home button unexpeted error" on the screen. I looked and it had a hairline crack across the home button. I went to mash the button and it was hot, when I did my finger mashed the corner now and that corner has cracked more. I have read the forums and seems like several people have experience this same thing. I have an appointment with the Apple store on Monday 1/12/18 to see what they can do. I hope they will fix it. I can use my phone, it gave me an onscreen home button to use but it is very hard to opperate like that. Any suggestions or has this happened you anyone else?

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.2.5

Posted on Feb 5, 2018 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2018 10:06 PM

This just happened to my IPhone 8 Plus it shut off while using and app. Looked at it and it rebooted on its own. When I set aside since it was taking long and come back on its own the home button is hot, although yes screen option is available. Please update if was covered by insurance if you had one on it.

Will be making an appointment, service as well.

I don’t understand how it can crack on its own. Not touched or dropped, to simply just have a error message on screen.

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2018 10:06 PM in response to maleiafrommonroe

This just happened to my IPhone 8 Plus it shut off while using and app. Looked at it and it rebooted on its own. When I set aside since it was taking long and come back on its own the home button is hot, although yes screen option is available. Please update if was covered by insurance if you had one on it.

Will be making an appointment, service as well.

I don’t understand how it can crack on its own. Not touched or dropped, to simply just have a error message on screen.

Feb 5, 2018 10:17 AM in response to maleiafrommonroe

I've only used the "assistive" home button on iPads because I like to keep the wear down on a physical button. It works though.

You should take it in and explain the situation. I've heard about this. The default may be to assume that any cracks are a result of dropping, but be firm in insisting that it was damaged because it overheated.

Mar 6, 2018 4:39 AM in response to maleiafrommonroe

I had the same thing happen to me.... TWICE! Minding my own business, phone starts rebooting and I notice the home button is shattered. Didn't drop it or anything. The whole screen had to be replaced but if I went through my carrier's insurance they would ship me a new phone for cheaper than the screen repair would be (through apple.) So I got a new 8+ and I had it for 2 months and BOOM same exact thing happened, this time the button wasn't shattered, it had a hairline fracture like yours. This seems to be a reoccurring thing with this phone and im on my second in 3 months, its complete BS.

Mar 6, 2018 6:29 AM in response to joefromcoate

Yup! I see a trend here especially after the phone charges. I just got off the phone with an Apple technician, I climbed the ladder until I got to the top supervisor. They say they’ve never heard of this issue, yet tons of people are having this problem on this discussions section of the Apple website. This needs to be addressed by the company!

Mar 23, 2018 1:46 PM in response to maleiafrommonroe

Hi, I have the same problem and my phone screen freez on apple logo. I went to apple store and they told me it's hardware problem and we have to change the screen but because of the cracks, you should pay $200 for changing!!!! It's 2 weeks that I bought it and how is it possible that I create crack on the bottom without breaking the other part of screen? !!!!!!! I didn't pay, so he did not change the screen!!!!!!! 😡 I trade my iPhone 6 plus with it at Rogers store and I'm not really happy with this deal.......

Apr 14, 2018 10:25 AM in response to maleiafrommonroe

I had a same problem.

I put my iPhone 8+on charging n after a while I saw it was stuck on an apple logo. I just noticed a thin hair line crack on touch button.

Since then I am unable to use it

I am in Pakistan n we don’t have any apple store here.

I guess apple won’t believe it but they will have to accept it sooner or later.

The earlier the better!

I am sure I lost $1100

Apr 29, 2018 7:14 AM in response to maleiafrommonroe

Hi from Taiwan! The exact problem happened to me too! i left my phone charging overnight and in the morning I found a hairline crack on the right corner of my home button. Immediately I went to an apple store to try to ask about it. Customer service insist that i must’ve dropped or punctured it! But I’ve only had my phone for two month and I have not dropped it, plus there is no signs of damage anywhere else... not even a scratch! There’s no way I’m paying for this defect! Called apple support a few times now and even uploaded photos to their technicians. They still insist that it’s my fault. I’m thoroughly disappointed that Apple is not owning up to this defect and that their customer service was very poor. Since there is so many others out there that have the same problem, Not going to let them go this easy.

Jun 22, 2018 12:05 PM in response to maleiafrommonroe

Same problem! 3-week old iPhone 8plus. On charger, went to use it and I couldn't use it. It went into reboot mode and is stuck now. The hairline crack became worse when I kept pushing the button and now I was told that is considered physical damage and I would have to pay $169 plus tax to fix it. THIS MAKES NO SENSE! There is obviously a design flaw that Apple is refusing to acknowledge that there is an issue probably because they would have to replace phones at a huge cost! I tried to get a case number and go into the Apple store but they claim point of impact but there is no impact or damage to the rest of the phone so I didn't drop it or anything on it. The one woman at Eton Place Apple Store in Woodmere, OH actually told me that the button can be damaged normally by just pressing it hard. Really Apple? Really? This is why the Samsung commercials are so popular now. Customer service at Apple is awful!

Jun 27, 2018 1:25 AM in response to maleiafrommonroe

I have same problem with Iphone 8. My wife call me from work and said phone in her pocket was so hot almost burn the skin on her leg. When she took out phone home button was red hot and she spotted small crack on it. She said phone was almost untouchable from created heat. That danger for users!! Imagine is one of the kids will watch youtube or use phone and fall a sleep. That will be disaster!! Back to the point. On booked appointment in Apple Care shop situation was explain with details. Even manager try to convince me its my wife fault and she cracked home button!! I told him just google what I said then you will see!!. He reckon Apple phones don't brake by it self!! 4 months old phone and gone!! I was offered screen replacement for £189. I told them its nothing wrong with screen it is just home button what fail!!

Guys just don't let them to easy. I will take this far!! By many posts Looks like its manufacture fault and they still wanna fob us off!! Because of amount of heat created by phone I believe phone never will be functional same again or will fail by other fault!! So screen replacement wont be solution for 4 months phone!!

Keep fighting and keep posting

Jul 10, 2018 4:05 AM in response to maleiafrommonroe

I have the exact same problem, my phone was is my coat pocket and when I pulled it out as I noticed the screen was shining white, I saw the home button had a hairline crack on it. (I had my phone max 8 weeks at this point). I used the assistive home button on the screen for a while but then I went to do an ios update and my phone completely froze and was stuck on the screen with the apple logo. I went to my local carrier store who tried to reboot this for them to tell me it was a hardware problem (the motherboard) - after many conversations with apple themselves I have had to pay £160 to get this fixed as they need to replace the screen because of the crack on the home button which I reiterated no end of times was through no fault of my own - the phone had no cracks/scratches any where else as it had not been dropped. Convinced this is a fault with the Iphone 8s themselves however they will not admit and adamant it is caused by impact on the home button itself. Not impressed!!

Jul 17, 2018 1:57 PM in response to maleiafrommonroe

I had the same issue with my 3 week old Iphone 8. Was using it on a Sunday morning, put it down. Then when I came back to it 30 mins later had "Home button unexpeted error" on the screen and a very small crack in the top right corner of the button. Small enough I needed to really look closely with a flash-light to see it was a crack and not a mark of some other kind. No drops or rough treatment. It was even in an otterbox defender case from day 1.

Contacted chat support who ran a diagnostic remotely and then booked me a genius appointment. They took a look at the genius bar and replaced the screen in 3 hours free of charge.

Can't complain about my experience in any way other than the issue happened in the first place. Received the great Apple service I have come to expect.

Best of luck.

Jul 23, 2018 8:34 PM in response to maleiafrommonroe

Small crack on my iPhone 8 Plus. Sent into Apple. Was received on July 6th per UPS. Their system says July 12th. Their technician looked at it same day, and it comes back as extensive physical damage and will cost more to repair than replace phone. Multiple phone calls to Apple. Same answer every time. Can’t give me the exact finding from technician only what I received. They aren’t allowed to give out the technician reports. Had it sent off to be investigated by engineers, they never looked at the reports or the phone and I had my phone sent back to me. They can’t do anything if engineering says they agree with technician findings. That was today, when I received my phone back. Phone still works just has black lines in the screen. Going to take to a third party phone repair company to see if they can inspect it for the so called damages. Only positive thing, I get my Apple care plus refunded due to I can’t use it anymore because they deemed phone unrepairable. iPhone 8plus was only 2 weeks old.

iPhone 8 plus cracked home button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.