Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to create stereo track with non-sequential inputs

Does anyone have a good solution for creating a stereo track using two non-sequential (mono) inputs (or with sequential inputs starting with an even number, such as a stereo track formed from inputs 2 and 3)? I'm using Logic Pro X 10.4.0. I have kluged together a solution of sorts but it is clunky - create two mono busses, one with an input from the desired L. channel, the other with an input from the desired R. channel. Pan one bus hard left the other hard right. Output each bus to a new stereo bus. Create a new audio track and set the track's input to the new stereo bus. An annoying number of steps, but it gets worse (for me anyway) because in order to record on my new audio track, I have to arm both mono busses and set up input monitoring, then arm the new audio track to record. So, I wind up with a stereo track and two mono tracks every time I record with this setup. Not to mention that the whole thing seems like a lot of work for something that should ideally be much simpler. It's nice, I guess, that Logic decides what inputs I would like paired as stereo (sequential pairs starting with odd numbers, so 1-2, 3-4, 5-6) but it would be nicer if there were an easy way to change these default assignments without the sort of workaround I use now. What am I missing? Any ideas that don't include rewiring or patching physical inputs in a way that Logic expects?

Many thanks.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), Logic Pro X 10.4.0

Posted on Feb 9, 2018 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2018 8:21 AM

You are not missing anything.

Unfortunately Logic won't let you make your own stereo pairs.

You should however be able to avoid the 3 files issue by using Aux channels instead:

1. Create a new stereo audio track and set it's input to bus x.
  2. Open the Mixer and create two mono Aux channel strips.
  3. Set them to mono and pan them hard left and right.
  4. Set the input mono 2 and 3.
  5. Set their output to bus x.

Now you should have an audio track that records input 2-3, without the creation of additional files.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2018 8:21 AM in response to mvy2099

You are not missing anything.

Unfortunately Logic won't let you make your own stereo pairs.

You should however be able to avoid the 3 files issue by using Aux channels instead:

1. Create a new stereo audio track and set it's input to bus x.
  2. Open the Mixer and create two mono Aux channel strips.
  3. Set them to mono and pan them hard left and right.
  4. Set the input mono 2 and 3.
  5. Set their output to bus x.

Now you should have an audio track that records input 2-3, without the creation of additional files.

How to create stereo track with non-sequential inputs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.