Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login option preferences revert on restart, but fix themselves once someone logs in. Mobile accounts disappear.

I have 2 MacBook Pros that are joined to Active Directory (Create mobile account at login was selected)

Both users created a mobile account. One is running High sierra, and the other is on Sierra.

Upon restart, the only account that is shown to login with is the local user (Admin). But if i login as the admin and then logout, the mobile account then shows up again at the login screen. I attempted to change the login preferences to show "Name and Password" instead of list of users, but when the computer is rebooted this setting reverts to list of users until someone (anyone) logs in. Once someone logs in and logs back out, it then shows User name and Password at the login screen. When I log in and check the system preferences, the login options are all still set to how I put them, so it's only the initial boot up that seems to revert the change (temporarily at least).

As a workaround I created a standard local user so that the user can log into that quickly and then logout so that they can log into their mobile domain account.

I tried deleting the loginwindow.plist (at the system level) and let it rebuild but that did not solve the issue. I do have about 30 other mac users (a couple others on Macbooks) that are not having this issue.

I'm trying to figure out:

A: why does the mobile account not show up until a user logs in (I was under the impression that creating a Mobile account would allow the user to log in even when not connected to the network)

B: why are the login preferences reverting to "List users" until someone logs in, then fixing themselves.

Any help would be appreciated!

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 14, 2018 10:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2018 10:06 AM

After some digging, this was due to Filevault being turned on for the 2 MacBooks that were having this issue.

Similar questions

1 reply

Login option preferences revert on restart, but fix themselves once someone logs in. Mobile accounts disappear.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.