Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV data usage

Does anyone else have a problem with their Apple TV using a lot of data? I got a new one and it's burned through 1450GB in 18 days. I'm doing a bit more streaming, none of it in 4K, so I don't understand what could be going on. I've turned off the Arial screensaver, that wasn't a problem for my old ATV, and turned off One Homescreen.

Any ideas what could be causing it? I've checked and nothing else is different on my network, no wifi stealing or stuff like that.

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Feb 18, 2018 6:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 7:02 AM

I can literally watch it spike to over 3.5 Mbps - check out the graph below - from my router - disconnecting the plug to the apple TV @ 6pm - shuts it down as show. I rebooted, and updated the IOS software - ANYone else seeing this ? It was sent to me via the DirectTv Deal.

User uploaded file

Similar questions

29 replies

May 17, 2018 4:28 PM in response to cleehb

Since i posted on 4th Mayy (where we had used nearly 200GB in 4 days) i have found out the cause fr our data usage

Watch this video. --> How to Quit Apps on Apple TV - YouTube

So it turns out that even when putting the apple tv to sleep, it was still consuming data - it seems like not closing the directv app was the problem. 13 days later, we are closing off the app each time after we are done watching tv and my data use is now sitting at 348GB (so 150GB used in 13 days) admittedly haven't watched a heap of TV this month (but i hadnt been those 4 days at the start of May ether)

Feel much happier knowing that we definitely are not going to go over the limit now.

May 17, 2018 4:47 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Nope i haven't reported this. The directv app is the only one we use really (Netflix too but that's to watch a single episode or film at a time etc) where as the directvnow app is continuously streaming.

Its very odd that putting the appletv to sleep doesnt actually cease activity though - but when i looked at the apple tv on device usage screen in the xfinity portal it was showing constantly high levels of use 24 hours a day, Since closing the app after i have used them (a pain i know) it is far more reflective of use (as can be seen below).

User uploaded file

Feb 18, 2018 2:42 PM in response to kevinfromhephzibah

Netflix would be 1080, unless your account/subscription is set to stream 4K.

Itunes content would be streaming in 4K unless you've also set your ATV to only output in 1080 via settings.

How much streaming (hours) in a typical day?

If you are online gaming on top of the increase to video streaming then that's a factor. Games also have updates, which can sometimes be fairly large, if you haven't checked settings those can be loading in the background.

Feb 20, 2018 2:24 PM in response to vazandrew

A couple hours every day. The ATV is set to 1080 and I only have a 1080p tv.

And a couple hours of gaming a day too. Mainly Overwatch. Small updates here and there. Nothing in the hundreds of GB.

I unplugged that ATV and am still using my other one (non 4K), data usage went down to next to nothing. So, I've narrowed it down to that particular ATV.

Mar 26, 2018 1:49 PM in response to kevinfromhephzibah

Kevin and Mike,

Did you take this up with Apple? I have been running into the same problem and pin pointed it to the my ATV 4K. I opened a case with a Senior Tech who took it up to Engineering. Waiting to hear back, but was wondering what your outcome was?

My ATV 4K is burning through 130-180GB a day without any streaming going on. ATV 4K unplugged or sleeping, my total home average is 3-7GB.

May 4, 2018 9:19 PM in response to kevinfromhephzibah

Has anyone got any updates on this? our apple4ktv came with the directv deal too

For the past 2 months, despite not changing our streaming habits we are going over the 1TB xfinity limit. Since 1st May we have already used 200GB :O

Have been very actively going into the menu and making sure it goes to sleep - however it looks like it is still using data according to the 24 hour data usage in xfinity.

Using Directv Now a few hours a day, netflix maybe 2 hours a day. Worried at this rate we will be exceeding the 1 TB by mid month

May 17, 2018 4:34 PM in response to jumanjijim

Im with xfinity and if you log into the account online or with the app tells you how much as a percentage of data used a particular device uses (tells you past 24 hours and also past 30 days).

So last month i used 1.2TB and 78% was used by my apple tv (as i am using this for directvtv, catch up on apps and netflix this isn't surprising. However what was suprisng was how much it was using.

Turns out if you dont close the directv app it continues to run and use data.

This month its usage is now 50% (have watched less tv and been using my computer more) of 348GB currently.

Apple TV data usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.