Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get rid of Advanced Mac Cleaner once and for all?

This question has been raised and answered before, but this version of Advanced Mac Cleaner seems to have insidious sticking power. I inadvertently fell for a possibly fake message to update flash and got Advanced Mac Cleaner. It reinstalls itself upon reboot and login. I have deleted the App from the applications folder and everything that looks remotely like it in Library. I deleted it from my user login items. Cannot find any files named amc.

Cannot find it in Safari preferences, but it pops up when opening safari.

Using MacBook Pro mid-2015 and Mac OS 10.13.3 High Sierra.

I delete the trash and reboot and it's baaaaack again.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 18, 2018 7:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2018 4:15 AM

What an insidious piece of dreck.

Yes it is, but it wasn't the first and won't be the last. Read How to install adware to learn how to recognize the characteristics of those odious things, so you aren't deceived into installing them.

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 18, 2018 8:39 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks for the speedy reply, John Galt! Your solution looks very clear.

After reading some lengthy discussions, I took advice of longtime contributor Seventy one, gulped twice and installed Malwarebytes. It nearly instantly quarantined AMC along with AMC-2 and several files I'd not recognized as related to AMC. Apparently I'd halfway killed it, yet it was even able to install a second copy of its app. What an insidious piece of dreck.

Dante's Inferno would have a special place for people who perpetrate this sort of thing on others - the time wasted is unconscionable!

Thanks for sharing your own knowledge so generously.

Jerry

How do I get rid of Advanced Mac Cleaner once and for all?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.