Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sierra - From any application, can't sort files in alphabetical order (in column view)

I'm opening a new post because I found some old threads that were closed, but didn't fix my issue.

I'm running Sierra OS 12.6.2 on a Late-2013 Retina MacBook Pro.

Essentially, for some reason in any program where you can open/select a file (going to File/Open, clicking 'browse...', etc), my files will no longer sort by name in column view, which I typically use for navigating. It was working fine this morning but seems to have stopped working after I switched to 'date added' and then back to 'name'.

In effect, selecting 'Name' in the sorting options at this point does the same thing as selecting 'None'. Finder is oddly not exhibiting this behavior. It is sorting by name in column view properly.

Here's what I mean...

From Safari

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Same folder in the Finder

User uploaded file

The threads I've seen in the past from 2016 were never really resolved. Someone suggested holding 'option' when selecting 'arrange by' to get it to change to 'sort by', but that's only applicable to Finder, not all of these other programs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Feb 23, 2018 9:52 AM

54 replies

Feb 23, 2018 10:50 AM in response to masterfish11

masterfish11 wrote:

What is it supposed to look like? I have nothing to compare...Oh, and I should mention that these are partial screenshots of the window, not the entire window itself (if that's what you were responding to)

Thank you!

You're welcome. The Open File dialogs should look the same as the Finder windows…

User uploaded file

Same icons available.

Mar 1, 2018 10:19 AM in response to masterfish11

masterfish11 wrote:

Any ideas?

Here is one:

In the Finder, if you hold down the Option key, "Arrange By" changes to "Sort By".

In an Open/Save dialog box, the same happens, except that, as far as I can see, it is absolutely silent.

So maybe you once accidentally made a choice while the Option key was down (meaning Sort By "kind", for example).

I can't guarantee that it is your problem, but in this way I was able to totally reproduce the problem for me.

This is from an Open dialog in Safari. The first image was taken with the Option key down (Sort By Kind).

User uploaded file

The second one is *without* the option key (Arrange by Name):

User uploaded file

The html files still all come BEFORE the pdf - as dictated by "Sort By" - so changing between Name and None indeed has no effect.

Mar 1, 2018 10:44 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis Sequeira1 wrote:

masterfish11 wrote:

Any ideas?

Here is one:

In the Finder, if you hold down the Option key, "Arrange By" changes to "Sort By".

In an Open/Save dialog box, the same happens, except that, as far as I can see, it is absolutely silent.

So maybe you once accidentally made a choice while the Option key was down (meaning Sort By "kind", for example).

I can't guarantee that it is your problem, but in this way I was able to totally reproduce the problem for me.

This is from an Open dialog in Safari. The first image was taken with the Option key down (Sort By Kind).

User uploaded file

The second one is *without* the option key (Arrange by Name):

User uploaded file

The html files still all come BEFORE the pdf - as dictated by "Sort By" - so changing between Name and None indeed has no effect.

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, this doesn't fix the issue. My default 'None' seems to be alphabetical in the Finder default in my user, but in the Open/Save dialog, both 'None' and 'Name' do the same thing.

The odd thing is if I hold 'option' down when selecting that button in the Safari Open dialog, the options do not change like they do in your example. When 'option' is down, 'Application' is still an option. I wonder if there's a pref file I can delete that contains the 'Sort by Kind' for the Open/Save dialog.

For what it's worth, holding 'option' in the Finder does change the options like you're describing.

Mar 2, 2018 2:16 AM in response to masterfish11

masterfish11 wrote:

I've done the Safe Mode with no luck. What operating system are you on where you got the results in your screenshots when File/Open panels allowed for both Arrange and Sort?

The weirdest parts of this whole thing is 1) Finder is fine. I can sort and arrange properly there and 2) My Guest User sorts everything by name properly in the File/Open panel.

I was using High Sierra 10.13.3.

I don't think it is weird that Finder is fine, because the settings are separate.

I have no trouble setting, say, "Arrange by Size" in the Finder, but "Arrange by Name:" in the Open dialog box, and they both stick.

Did you try holding the Option key *before* pressing User uploaded file

Mar 2, 2018 10:01 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis Sequeira1 wrote:

masterfish11 wrote:

I've done the Safe Mode with no luck. What operating system are you on where you got the results in your screenshots when File/Open panels allowed for both Arrange and Sort?

The weirdest parts of this whole thing is 1) Finder is fine. I can sort and arrange properly there and 2) My Guest User sorts everything by name properly in the File/Open panel.

I was using High Sierra 10.13.3.

I don't think it is weird that Finder is fine, because the settings are separate.

I have no trouble setting, say, "Arrange by Size" in the Finder, but "Arrange by Name:" in the Open dialog box, and they both stick.

Did you try holding the Option key *before* pressing User uploaded file

OK. I'm on Sierra 10.12.6.

When I hold down 'option' prior to pressing the arrange icon, the options listed stay identical but only in the Open/Save dialog that I'm having the issue with. In Finder, if I hold down 'option' and click the icon, the options change (implying that it's going from arrange to sort options). Seems that the 'sort' options don't show up in the Open/Save dialog as 'Application' is still listed as an option. 'Application' goes away when the 'sort' options show.

If the settings are separate, do you know where the File/Open dialog settings (assuming a preference file) are and what the specific name of the item would be? I was in Xcode looking at my com.apple.finder.plist and found a bunch of different references to the arrange and column vs. list views, etc.

Feb 23, 2018 10:06 AM in response to masterfish11

Well the first problem is your open file dialog windows aren't drawing correctly.

You can try booting into Safe Mode and then boot normally.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

You can try creating a new user account and see if they draw correctly.

You can post an EtreCheck report so any interfering apps show.

If worse comes to worst, you will have to reinstall Sierra.

Feb 25, 2018 8:19 AM in response to masterfish11

Also, for reference, here are the other places people have had this exact issue in Sierra and it never was resolved:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8051191?answerId=32145737022#32145737022

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7743647

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8051191?answerId=32145801022#32145801022

The summary?

•Trashing the com.apple.Finder.plist doesn't do anything

•Finder preferences (sort/arrange by) doesn't do anything even when set to 'name' for both (someone suggests this as the 'fix', but they must have been having a different issue because this doesn't fix the issue in the open/save dialog box)

•Re-indexing Spotlight doesn't do anything

And again, for me specifically, Finder is behaving fine. It's the Open/Save dialog box where the issue shows up.

Feb 23, 2018 10:17 AM in response to CountryGirl56

@CountryGirl56 -

I did a safe boot and the same issue showed there as well. I restarted, same thing. Works in Finder, doesn't work in 'open file dialogue windows'.

What is it supposed to look like? I have nothing to compare...Oh, and I should mention that these are partial screenshots of the window, not the entire window itself (if that's what you were responding to)

Thank you!

Feb 23, 2018 11:24 AM in response to masterfish11

Apple provides a Cocoa framework called NSOpenPanel/NSSavePanel that developers' can add to their applications that present a Finder-like appearance window interaction with the file system. It is a pretty good imitation.

I happened to have just the code that opens an NSOpenPanel window, and ran it to open one of these File choosers. Adjacent to it, I opened a real Finder window. Both to the same location: Desktop. I did this on El Capitan 10.11.6, and again on High Sierra 10.13.3 supplemental.

On High Sierra, the Finder window, and the NSOpenPanel window produced the same ordered results in Column view when cycling randomly between Name, Date Added, and None categories. Although the results on El Capitan agreed between both kinds of windows there, the ordering results are different than those observed on High Sierra.

Apple is about change, not position, even when as users, we scratch our heads as to why Apple changed (or removed) something that was quite useful. With every new release of the operating system, something has been omitted, deprecated, or even inadvertently broken, that effects our observed results. The difference in Finder file object ordering behavior between El Capitan and High Sierra is a sampling of Apple change. If you were used to El Capitan ordering, and moved up to Sierra, chances are there is an observed difference in Sierra too.

Feb 23, 2018 11:27 AM in response to masterfish11

masterfish11 wrote:

Right? Am I missing something? Those stills above in my original post were just closeup sections taken using command+shift+4 and the crosshairs.

Well it does appear you are missing most of what would be listed in the Favorites Bar, unless you hid them all in the Finder. If you look at my screenshot all the defaults are showing.

Feb 23, 2018 11:30 AM in response to VikingOSX

@VikingOSX - this is very helpful and interesting. I had no idea.

2 things:

1) I'm only confused because the way this happened was I was in Photoshop CC 2018 browsing files that were initially sorted by name. This problem only occurred when I switched it to sort by 'Date Created' and then back to 'Name'. Seemingly, it was fine when I opened it.

2) Is there a way I can test what you're describing locally on my machine running Sierra?

Thank you so much!

Feb 23, 2018 11:38 AM in response to CountryGirl56

@CountryGirl56 - when I select 'None' (as seen in my stills from the Original Post), it shows the exact same sorting as if I select 'Name'. If I bounce back and forth between the two, nothing changes. If I go to something else like 'Kind', it will resort, but then goes back to being out of alphabetical order (a la 'None') when I go to 'Name'.

VikingOSX had an interesting insight. Hoping to see if that is what caused this.

Feb 23, 2018 11:54 AM in response to masterfish11

Open an Apple application (File menu : Open…) and compare that column view ordering to that of the Photoshop CC 2018 behavior, and then the Finder itself.

Adobe system requirements for Photoshop CC 2018 (Jan 2018) indicate El Capitan 10.11.6, Sierra 10.12.6, and High Sierra 10.13 — so either they tested it on all three, or they built it on High Sierra so that it could run on the previous two operating systems and only tested it on High Sierra. Adobe knows. Thus, the Sierra Finder may show files one way per ordering choice, but Photoshop CC 2018 may be using the High Sierra ordering logic.

Another twist in the detective work is whether PhotoShop CC 2018 is a pure Cocoa application, or it was written using an entirely different GUI framework (e.g. Qt) that when compiled on macOS, it maps to the Cocoa framework counterparts instead of the Qt equivalent, and behaves appropriately when compiled on Windows 10 for the Microsoft visual requirements. One source code pool has its benefits.

Sierra - From any application, can't sort files in alphabetical order (in column view)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.