Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos can't see all images on my iPhone for importing

When I try to upload the pictures on my iPhone X (iOS 11.2.6) to Photos on my MacBook Pro Retina 2014 (macOS High Sierra 10.13.3), via USB cable, only a handful of my pictures appear for me to select for import.

For the pictures on my iPhone that Photos cannot seem to see, I have airdropped them to my Mac. What I’ve noticed is that all of the pictures that don’t show up in Photos for import share a file name with a picture already in my Photos library.

I have had several iPhones before and never had this issue. In fact many of the images in my photos library already share file names. Whilst airdropping them to my mac is a work around that allows me to back the files up, it makes importing photos more laborious and also means I lose all of the metadata associated with the files.

Does anyone know how I can solve this issue so that when I plug my iPhone in, all of the pictures appear in Photos for me to import?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 25, 2018 4:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2018 4:40 AM

Check, if iCloud Photo Library has become enabled on the iPhone. The upgrade to iOS 11 may have enabled iCloud Photo Library by default, without you noticing it.

If iCloud Photo Library should have become enabled with "Optimize Storage" on, many of your photos may now only be in iCloud and not on your iPhone, only in the smaller, optimized version These photos will not be visible in the Import panel.

Other than that, if you have many photos on your iPhone, you may have to wait a bit, before the photos will be shown, that are already in your Photos Library, After a while, you should also be seeing the photos with duplicate file names in the "Already imported" section of the panel.

User uploaded file

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2018 4:40 AM in response to adam.nk

Check, if iCloud Photo Library has become enabled on the iPhone. The upgrade to iOS 11 may have enabled iCloud Photo Library by default, without you noticing it.

If iCloud Photo Library should have become enabled with "Optimize Storage" on, many of your photos may now only be in iCloud and not on your iPhone, only in the smaller, optimized version These photos will not be visible in the Import panel.

Other than that, if you have many photos on your iPhone, you may have to wait a bit, before the photos will be shown, that are already in your Photos Library, After a while, you should also be seeing the photos with duplicate file names in the "Already imported" section of the panel.

User uploaded file

Photos can't see all images on my iPhone for importing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.