Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Access denied after copying folders and files from a shared Samba location into Mac OS and switching to another account.

Hello.

I copied folders with files from my Debian oldstable/Jessie's Samba v2.4.2 box (ext4 FS) to Mac OS Sierra v10.12.6 with smb://IPaddress method into Mac OS' shared folder (/Users/Shared), I can access these local copied files just fine. After I switch to another local Mac OS account, I cannot access these copied files in my other local Mac OS accounts? I tried Terminal's chgrp, chmod, and chown but I get permission denied. Same with Finder's method.

What's wrong or am I doing something wrong? 😟

Thank you in advance. 🙂

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), 13.3" (9,2; MD102ll/A)

Posted on Feb 25, 2018 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2018 8:22 PM

Barney-15E wrote:

When you copy them, they will be copied with the permissions of the user that copied them, not the destination.

You would need to log into the source from the user account you wish for them to have access. Or, change the permissions to give the desired user the necessary permissions.

Thanks. Someone told me to check my permission for Shared folder/directory and not under it. That worked. Sheesh. 🙂

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2018 8:22 PM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

When you copy them, they will be copied with the permissions of the user that copied them, not the destination.

You would need to log into the source from the user account you wish for them to have access. Or, change the permissions to give the desired user the necessary permissions.

Thanks. Someone told me to check my permission for Shared folder/directory and not under it. That worked. Sheesh. 🙂

Access denied after copying folders and files from a shared Samba location into Mac OS and switching to another account.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.