Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unreliable CarPlay (iPhone 7, Kenwood DDX6702S)

I'm seeing strange behavior from my iPhone 7 (iOS 11.2.6) when connecting via CarPlay to my Kenwood DDX6702S head unit.

Things I've experienced recently, all seen since iOS 11, none seen with iOS 10:

• Phone disconnects from head unit, leaving display blank, and continuing phone-sourced audio on phone speaker
  • Making a phone call by tapping a phone number in some other app goes to the phone call in progress CarPlay screen, then jumps to the head unit's native (bluetooth?) phone call in progress screen
  • When a phone call actually connects with CarPlay screen, audio has lots of dropouts and DTMF tones are duplicated or dropped (other end's voice response unit hears them multiple times or not at all)
  • Plugging into radio and starting car, the radio thinks carplay is ready but phone is not generating carplay screens, only a blank screen. Unplugging phone from USB connector and reconnecting, or powering off/on radio, usually gets phone to connect again to the radio.

Cellular service is Verizon (US), with VoLTE enabled (LTE voice + data)

Help? Is anybody else seeing this lame behavior? Makes for a dangerously distracting situation when the radio isn't working correctly.

iPhone 7, iOS 11

Posted on Feb 25, 2018 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2018 6:17 PM

It's a problem with the head unit. The Kenwood DDX units have proven unreliable for CarPlay for some time.

Check to see if there is a firmware update available for yours.

I had so many problems with a 6902s that I removed it from my car and put the stock head unit back in after a few months.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2018 6:17 PM in response to jtkohl

It's a problem with the head unit. The Kenwood DDX units have proven unreliable for CarPlay for some time.

Check to see if there is a firmware update available for yours.

I had so many problems with a 6902s that I removed it from my car and put the stock head unit back in after a few months.

Unreliable CarPlay (iPhone 7, Kenwood DDX6702S)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.