Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failed to restore from Time Machine

Hi All,

I have a constant (4 times now) failure trying to perform a full system restore.

Source system: MacBook Pro 2013 running latest macOS High Sierra 10.13.3

Backup disk: Apple Time Capsule 3TB, latest firmware

Target system: MacBook Pro 2017

Initially had 2 years of backups on Time Capsule, restore did not work.

After that tried so many options:

- Time Capsule restarted

- Antivirus disabled and removed (McAfee)

- Time Capsule disk formatted and new fresh backup created (say goodbye to 2 years of backups)

- Run Verify Time Machine backup on a source system

Restore process is:

- Turn target system on with Cmd-R

- Select Restore from Time Capsule

- Connect to Wifi with password

- Connect to Time Capsule with password

- Select Backup Disk

- Select the latest backup

- Agree to format local disk

- Restore runs for ~6 hours restoring ~60GB

- And then it fails.

See files attached.

Was purchasing Time Capsule a waste of money?

What worse is that in Installer Log there is a button 'Send to Apple'.

When I click this button it asks my email and description of the problem.

But when I click to submit it fails 'Unable to submit Crash Reporter log in OS Install Environment!'

What a waste of time! I wrote whole a lot of details in problem description and all went to trash.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 11:09 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Feb 26, 2018 12:45 PM in response to pomah

pomah wrote:

Was purchasing Time Capsule a waste of money?

I am sure someone will rush in with expert advise. In the mean time think of this as a teachable moment.

Time Capsule/Time Machine is not a waste of money—however it is always advised to have a plan that includes more than one backup method, on more than one drive.

How to create a boot clone

Feb 26, 2018 7:36 PM in response to pomah

Hi Pomah,

I find it quite odd that Time Machine refuses to completely restore a backup onto your Mac. However, you could also use Migration Assistant to transfer all of your applications, user accounts and other files onto your Mac.

To do this, use Disk Utility to erase Macintosh HD. You will lose all of your data by doing this. Set the format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) unless you only see APFS options (in that case choose APFS). Once you've erased Macintosh HD, quit Disk Utility and choose Install macOS (or Reinstall macOS). Select Macintosh HD as the target volume and let the installer do its work. When the setup assistant appears, progress through it until you are offered the choice to transfer data from another source. Choose "From a Mac, Time Machine backup or startup disk" and continue. You'll be guided through the steps of restoring your data from your AirPort Time Capsule (or your other backup disk if you choose). Once you've completed the setup assistant, your Mac should be back to what it was when the backup was created.

Hope this helps!

Failed to restore from Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.