Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Timeline compound playback incorrect

I have a compound clip which stacks an audio clip, a video clip, and a solid color generator which is greatly reduced in coverage by a draw mask.

I have

rendered this while editing the compound. Everything looks correct when I play it.

I close this clip (timeline back) and make sure the instance of that clip on the timeline is rendered. When I play it, the shape from the masked generator is missing. If I play the compound clip in the media browser, it plays correctly.

I’ve tried deleting the clip from the timeline and re-inserting it. Still wrong. I’ve Quit FCPX, deleted the rendered-files cache, restarted, still wrong.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 3:52 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Feb 27, 2018 3:35 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

That was exactly right. Thank you.

Sure sounds like a bug to me. FCPX had no trouble translating the video (or the draw mask effect that was applied to it). Seems like it has this problem with a generator.

As you probably deduced, the masked generator effect was actually present in the timeline video; it was just smaller than expected and in the wrong place (both by ratios of 720/1080 I'm sure).

Feb 28, 2018 7:53 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks Luis. My compound is 1080i and the project is 720p.

I just tried it and you're right that it doesn't reproduce with just any generator. It seems to be a problem specific to both of the 360 generators. The masks aren't working properly with those either (the mask has to be very tiny to mask off the effect at all).

I'll call this in. Thanks again.

Feb 28, 2018 8:31 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Well, well. You are right Tom. They sorta work in non-360 projects, but aren't supported there (per the gentleman I was speaking to in FCPX support when your message came in).

I was using it because, for some reason, I was blind to the "Custom" generator in the normal "Solids" area and thought that the 360 Solid was the only one that let me choose the full range of colors. (Maybe because that custom one is a black blob on a grey screen.)

Timeline compound playback incorrect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.