Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text Substitution in Safari stopped working

I recently had to (unfortunately) do a factory reset on my iMac. Instead of restoring from a Time Machine image that could be affected, I had to manually restore the relevant files, apps etc..

Everything else worked fine except for my text substitutions in Safari, which just stopped working for some reason.

- I activated iCloud and was able to see all the previous text substitutions that I had created.

- I have another Macbook Air that has the same text substitutions and everything works just fine there in Safari.

- I am able to use the text substitutions on Calendar, Reminders, Notes. Doesn't work in Safari. E.g. if I type "tmr" here it doesn't change into 'tomorrow'. (Does not work on Chrome either)

- None of the text substitutions work, incl the default "omw".

- Safari Edit-Substitutions-Text Replacement is checked and contains all the substitutions I have created.

My OS is up to date - High Sierra 10.13.3.

I tried checking/unchecking, signing in and out of iCloud, deleting/adding text substitutions, restarting x multiple times and I still can't get it to work again.

Any insight would be much appreciated!!

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 10:38 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Feb 27, 2018 2:49 PM in response to OCloudy

See if it works in the Safe Mode.

Safe Mode - About El Capitan
also Sierra

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan. also Sierra

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. You can run the report for free at least once, but if you run it several times, at some point it will ask you to pay a license fee.

Etrecheck – System Information

Feb 28, 2018 10:59 AM in response to OCloudy

I just did more testing and it's getting weirder...

Within Safari:

Gmail - does not work with emails. However, if I used Edit-Find-Find... and type in the search box, the text substitutions work.

Facebook - text substitutions do not work in status updates/comments, but worked fine in the messenger window or search box.

Other websites - text substitutions work in the search box

Google.com - text substitutions do not work in the search field

Google Drive - does not work in doc/sheet but works in the "Find" search field.

So it's not across the board in Safari either. 😕

Text Substitution in Safari stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.