Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cutting & Pasting in iMovie

I am having a problem cutting and pasting in iMovie. The file is an MP4 from a GoPro 5. Videoed at 80 fps. The problem I am having is that when I cut a selection it is not saved to paste. In other words I cut a small selection then it will not paste. Hope someone can assist me. This is a new problem. I have macOS High Seirra.

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 6:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 2:48 PM

Thinking about this further, as a workaround you could import your clip into the timeline twice, and then you can trim them both and apply whatever effects you want to the second clip. That would avoid having to use the copy and paste function. Still, copy and paste should work so see if you can get it functioning per my earlier post.

-- Rich

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2018 2:48 PM in response to Rich839

Thinking about this further, as a workaround you could import your clip into the timeline twice, and then you can trim them both and apply whatever effects you want to the second clip. That would avoid having to use the copy and paste function. Still, copy and paste should work so see if you can get it functioning per my earlier post.

-- Rich

Mar 1, 2018 5:45 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich

I am using iMovie Version 10.1.8.

It's video from a sporting event. I am cutting a selection then pasting it back twice so I can edit the pasted clips by cropping them and adding slow motion. This is a new problem I have never had this problem before, it always worked.

It seems to cut with no problem but then I do not have a paste option after. It does the same if I copy the selection the paste option is greyed out. (unavailable)

Mar 2, 2018 2:48 PM in response to Rankar

Hi,

In the timeline, if you do a Modifiy/Split clip and then click on one of the splits to select it (it will get a yellow box around it), and then do an Edit/Copy, Edit/Paste, it should work to paste the selection in the timeline. Same with doing that to a full unsplit clip.

Also, you can hold down the "r" key and press-drag your cursor over a portion of a clip and do the Edit/Copy, Edit/Paste. Sometimes you may need to move the playhead to a blank space at the end of the timeline before doing the Edit/jPaste.

If the above are not working, try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys, and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. Sometimes that cures glitches.

You might also try doing an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy, of all the media in your project and Edit/Paste it into a newly created project. See if then you can do your Copy-Pasting in the new project.

-- Rich

Cutting & Pasting in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.