Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB speakers not working on iMac

I see this is a common problem, but none of the solutions I've tried have worked.

I'm trying to connect a pair of Klipsch powered monitors (r-15pm) to my Late 2015 iMac with a usb 2.0 cable. The speakers aren't showing up in the output options. I have a 2.1 setup hooked up to the headphone jack, and those are working fine.

I've unplugged the usb cable dozens of times, trying all four ports. I've reset the nvram. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Any suggestions?

iMac with Retina 5K display, iOS 10.3.2, null

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 10:07 AM

Similar questions

23 replies

Mar 1, 2018 9:46 PM in response to DonH49

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. This is what I get.

The built-in output here is my 2.1 speakers plugged into the headphone jack. If I unplug them, it leaves me with just the internal speakers. Still no usb speakers found.

The usb ports seem to be working; they recognize flash drives and my external hard drive just fine.

User uploaded file

Mar 2, 2018 6:09 PM in response to lamundson81

Well, it turns out the usb cable was the culprit, but I have a new problem now.

The computer recognized the speakers as soon as I plugged them in with a new cable, but I can't get audio to go through them. I can select them from the midi screen, but the sound still comes from my speakers plugged into the headphone jack.

The strange thing is, when I click on the audio icon in the upper right it shows that the Klipsches are selected. But the sound is still only coming from the other speakers. I've unplugged them and then the audio just goes through the internal speakers.

User uploaded file

Mar 2, 2018 7:13 PM in response to lamundson81

Well, I thought I had them working. I unplugged the usb speakers to move them across the room and the problem started over. I reset the smc again, and now the problem is the opposite: the usb speakers are the only ones that will work. It shows that headphones are selected in the upper right audio selector.

I tried the new suggestion of removing and adding speakers, but the - option is grayed out...

Mar 2, 2018 8:01 PM in response to CountryGirl56

Well, I tried that.

At first it would only let me pick one set of speakers.

Then I went and did something else for 20 minutes and when I came back it worked fine. For about two minutes.

Then I could only choose the usb speakers.

Now I can choose both sets of speakers, but the usb speakers cut out several times a second. I've tried two different media players and YouTube, and it does it with all of them.

USB speakers not working on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.