Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have to restart Apple TV 4K daily in order for it to run correctly. Issues after waking up.

I have an Apple TV 4K and it’s my second unit from Apple. First one I received around Christmas and immediately ran into issues day 2. Day 1, it worked lightning fast and no issues whatsoever. Then I put the unit to sleep, come home from work the next day, wake it up to relax and watch some tv, but the atv runs very slow. Grey boxes instead of thumbnails in Netflix. Not just third party apps, even apple apps such as iTunes, movies, App Store, etc. it’s like the unit can’t properly wake up. I would then hit the tv and Home button together to make it restart, and then everything magically works perfect. Lightning fast again. However, this was not a solution... after I put it to sleep, come back the next day, same thing. For a couple weeks I tried everything and I spoke to Apple many times, tried all sorts of troubleshooting and nothing solved the issue. Upon waking up, slow. Restart it, super fast. One Apple rep confirmed that they’ve heard this complaint at least once or twice a week. I finally received the replacement unit a few days ago to only find out, this one is doing the same thing.

So I’m curious who out there has had this issue and if they were able to fix it. Otherwise I’m going to have to go down the path of having Apple send me yet again, another unit, and maybe even get a third with the same problem.

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 8:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2018 11:53 AM

I have the same exact issue with my Apple TV 4k. I have 3 Apple TVs - 3rd, 4th and 5th generation. I have this issue only with the latest 5th generation Apple TV 4K which I purchased only few weeks back ,the earlier ones are fine.

Similar questions

16 replies

Mar 3, 2018 6:56 AM in response to vazandrew

I Have deleted and reinstalled apps, factory reset the atv, checked my internet connection and reset that just to make sure, on the atv i used the speedtest app to ensure i had a good connection and my scores were very high. What doesn’t make sense, is that simply restarting the unit always works. Like it’s glitching and can’t wake up then I restart and everything is fine.

Mar 3, 2018 7:27 AM in response to Drumbum7

It isn't an issue with the apps themselves nor your internet connection, it's the local network. Restarting the unit resets that connection, but the underlying issue hasn't been resolved so it persists.

Have you ensured DNS is set to auto (settings - network)

Are you on wifi? Have you tried ethernet?

Did you run a diagnostic report using istumbler, netstumbler or similar? You would be looking for signal strength, noise, nearby networks.

Does it persist when taken to another network?

Mar 3, 2018 8:21 AM in response to vazandrew

Yes, DNS is set to auto. I am on WiFi but have no way of routing a cable to it, so that is not an option. I have used Net analyzer and I am not seeing any interference and have a strong signal strength. Why would it be that I only have problems with the atv but nothing else? i.e. Phone, computer, smart tv, PlayStation, etc.

Have you experienced this before or talked to others who’ve had similar issues? If so, how was it resolved?

Mar 3, 2018 8:40 AM in response to Drumbum7

The distance between router and Apple TV is a factor as that leaves more room for issues. If there are other WiFi devices and appliances running on the same frequency that is also something to consider

Other devices working wouldn't rule out the network, sometimes only one device picks up on problems within the network and exhibits symptoms.

What were the results from the report for signal strength and noise? How about nearby networks? Have you tried charging channels on the router? Is it up to date? Does it persist when taken to another network?

I have worked with a lot of users on various issues, when it comes to this it has been resolved by changing things within the network.

Mar 3, 2018 10:22 AM in response to Drumbum7

The level seems good, but the value would decrease depending on the distance between device and router.

What channel did you change to? What was reported for nearby networks? If the channels are overlap or in close proximity then that is a factor

If you have lots of WiFi devices in the area or even appliances running on the same frequency then that will contribute

Mar 28, 2018 1:15 PM in response to iUserOfAppleProducts

I went through all the network diagnostics and had no luck with resolving the issue. I eventually ended up speaking to a supervisor with Apple support and was able to go to an Apple store, where they gave me a brand new unit since I was having such trouble with 2 other units. While this problem can most definitely be a network issue, don’t settle for keeping the unit you have if you are certain it’s not your network. Make sure to look into your network settings and signal strength. The new unit works just fine for me now and I’ve had it for a couple weeks now. Don’t let Apple or anyone else just assume it’s your network. One supervisor at Apple was sure that it was me and my network, since the problem persisted with even a second unit. The second supervisor didn’t even hesitate to replace it for a third. And now my problem is solved.

May 20, 2018 6:21 PM in response to Drumbum7

I have the same problem, ever since one of the updates to maybe Apple TV 4K. I’ve had to restart it daily because nothing would load.

I seem to have done something successfull for my situation after combing the message boards.

My router is an Airport time capsule. It has one network name that automatically disperses 2.5ghz with speeds up to 802.11N and it also has a 5Ghz network that is 802.11AC.

I noticed something interesting before and after every reboot. After all of these months that the slower 802.11n network was the joining network after waking up the Apple TV after sleep.

Once you reboot it, it’s on the 5GHZ 802.11AC and it works great. After sleep it would wake on the 2.4ghz and I would have to reboot bc it didn’t load.

Fix

Your WiFi router would have to be a dual band router.

The router settings should allow you to create 2seperate networks, a 2.4 ghz and a 5 ghz network.

After this give each network separated names, example router2.4ghz and router5ghz

Go to the Apple TV and forget the previous router network. The. Join the one you named “routername 5GHZ”

It’s been a month now and I haven’t had to reboot.

Jun 24, 2018 9:20 PM in response to Drumbum7

Just wanted to add that I have this issue as well, but only on our two Sony Z9D TVs - both set up to run UHD. I doubt it's a Wi-Fi signal issue.

What happens - for me anyway - is that audio comes on fine, but there's not video. It happens with anything streaming (Netflix, HBO, and Hulu). Directv NOW works fine.

Just wanted to add to see if it triggers something... 🙂

John

Jun 27, 2018 6:18 PM in response to JohnAgger

I have the same issue. Apple TV 4K and Sony XBR x900e series. Have spent lots of time on forums over the past week, adjusting settings on both units. Get it working and the next time I turn on the TV, anything I play from any app on the ATV 4K is audio only. I’ve tried multiple cables - including the apple reccomended Belkin ultra high speed. Same thing. Works then doesn’t so have to reboot Apple TV. In my case the TV is connected via Cat6e to an AirPort Extreme (set up as a wired network extender) to an airport time capsule. All worked for a year on old TV and Roku. Same with blue ray player and Apple TV 4. Now with new TV and new applTV 4 k - no dice. Tried Netfix using built in android app and no problems. So just external connections. About to return it all unfortunately. When it works, the 4K HDR is really great. It just hurts my soul each time to have to reboot multiple times and after dropping 2K.

Have to restart Apple TV 4K daily in order for it to run correctly. Issues after waking up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.