Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn off the automatic list on iPhone Notes?

I am getting really irritated with the Notes app in my iPhone performing automatic list. How do I turn this off? I just want this off. Not the app on my MacBook; on the iPhone only. Please. Thanks. :-)

null-OTHER, iOS 11.2.6, Notes App

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 4:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2018 12:10 AM

Hi Allen,

Thanks for your reply to Eduardo. However I believe he was talking about something else. Something I’d like to know also.

I type “1. “ and it indents it and starts a ”smart“ list. I don’t want this. I just want normal plain text typing.

On macOS this is called smart lists and can be turned off in the Edit menu under Text Substitutions.

How the heck do we turn it off on iOS?

This question (or similar) has been posted numerous times elsewhere on discussions.apple.com and none of them have been answered.

Is is there really no way to turn this off?

Thanks!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2018 12:10 AM in response to CarlAVII

Hi Allen,

Thanks for your reply to Eduardo. However I believe he was talking about something else. Something I’d like to know also.

I type “1. “ and it indents it and starts a ”smart“ list. I don’t want this. I just want normal plain text typing.

On macOS this is called smart lists and can be turned off in the Edit menu under Text Substitutions.

How the heck do we turn it off on iOS?

This question (or similar) has been posted numerous times elsewhere on discussions.apple.com and none of them have been answered.

Is is there really no way to turn this off?

Thanks!

Mar 5, 2018 1:30 PM in response to EduardosApple

Hi EduardosApple,

I understand that when you use Notes on your iPhone, it's automatically creating lists. I'm happy to provide some help for this.

It sounds like what you've described is Checklists, which can be enabled with the User uploaded file button. Check out more about this in the article below:

Use Notes on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Create a checklist

User uploaded file

To create a checklist, tap in a note, then tap User uploaded file. Enter your list, then tap the empty circle to complete a task.

Format a note

User uploaded file

To add a table, title, heading, or bulleted list, tap in a note, then tap User uploaded file
or User uploaded file. On an iPhone or iPod touch, tap Done when you're finished. You don't need to tap Done on an iPad.

If this isn't your issue, let us know what these lists look like, and whether newly created notes have this issue as well; we'll be happy to investigate further.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

How do I turn off the automatic list on iPhone Notes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.