Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get to Mac OS Utilities screen..

Hello, I am trying to erase the hard drive on my girlfriend's old Mac (version 10.5.8) so that she can sell it, but I can't seem to get to the Mac OS Utilities screen. I have tried holding down Command-R, Option-Command-R, and Shift-Option-Command-R on start-up, but none of those work. Other key combinations for other services on start up seem to work fine : Command-V, Command-S, for example. I have tried plugging our Ethernet cable into the mac because I read somewhere that it possibly needs to be connected to the Internet. Any other ideas?

I wonder if her computer is so old it does not have Mac OS Utilities?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 3:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 3:26 AM

Use the Mac OSX 10.5 (Leopard) installation disk. Insert it into the machine, hold down the Option key while it reboots. Select the installation disk from the boot menu and navigate through to the Welcome page of the installer. On the menu bar, you can access Disk Utility and erase the hard disk from there.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2018 3:26 AM in response to ryan4568

Use the Mac OSX 10.5 (Leopard) installation disk. Insert it into the machine, hold down the Option key while it reboots. Select the installation disk from the boot menu and navigate through to the Welcome page of the installer. On the menu bar, you can access Disk Utility and erase the hard disk from there.

Mar 4, 2018 7:22 AM in response to ryan4568

What specifically is the MacBook you have? Model and year?

One possibility is to contact Apple Support and inquire if you could take the MacBook to a local Apple Store and have them boot 10.5 for you so you can wipe the disk. An Authorised Apple Dealer may be able to do the same thing.

If you're able to upgrade the machine to a newer version of OSX that supports Internet Recovery then you can use that to wipe the disk.

You could purchase a copy of the 10.5 disk on eBay. But whatever you do, do not try downloading a copy from the internet as there is no guarantee that whatever you download is safe to use.

Another option, if you're comfortable doing so, is to obtain a replacement hard disk and swap it for the one in the MacBook, then physically destroy the old one at your leisure.

Can't get to Mac OS Utilities screen..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.