Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iTunes is not sorting my music properly.

Today, I decided to download more music to my iTunes on my laptop, then sync it to my phone and go about my day. When i opened up my music, i noticed that artists were out of order. For example, "Fall Out Boy" was listed under the letter "S" in my phone, but on iTunes on my laptop, it was where it should have been. I also noticed that music that I bought was at the top of all of my songs (I have over 400.)

Set It Off, Panic! At The Disco, and Sleeping With Sirens are all above All Time Low. I have tried everything I could possibly think of, from tinkering with the song info (trying to re-enter the names to see if it would move, which only worked once,) all the way to completely rebooting iTunes, and my laptop, but nothing seems to change. I have also tried re-syncing my phone a few times, but to no avail.

This is driving me crazy! This has never happened before. Is anyone else having this issue, and if so, have you found a way to fix it?

iPhone 5s, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 5:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 6:46 AM

In the Songs view of your library enable the following columns side by side, Album (which you should click on until it reads Album by Artist, and sort on this column), Sort Album, Artist, Sort Artist, Album Artist and Sort Album Artist. In this view sorting is first ordered on the first non-empty value from Sort Album Artist, Album Artist, Sort Artist, Artist, and then sub-sorted by the first non-empty value from Sort Album, Album. Then sub-sorted again by disc and track number. Once you can see what is influencing the sort order you should be able to repair things.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2018 6:46 AM in response to CandraNY

In the Songs view of your library enable the following columns side by side, Album (which you should click on until it reads Album by Artist, and sort on this column), Sort Album, Artist, Sort Artist, Album Artist and Sort Album Artist. In this view sorting is first ordered on the first non-empty value from Sort Album Artist, Album Artist, Sort Artist, Artist, and then sub-sorted by the first non-empty value from Sort Album, Album. Then sub-sorted again by disc and track number. Once you can see what is influencing the sort order you should be able to repair things.

tt2

Mar 4, 2018 6:58 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you. That helped with the situation on my laptop, but unfortunately it's still not sorting on my phone.

LATER NOTE!

I figured out how to fix the situation with my phone. It's tedious, because I have every song by them, but I just started replacing the "F" in the beginning of "Fall Out Boy" for every song, and then I'll sync it, and it seems to work.

If that didn't make sense if anyone needs help with this problem, delete the first letter, then replace it again.

EX:

1. Fall Out Boy

2. all Out Boy

3. Fall Out Boy

My iTunes is not sorting my music properly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.