Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

suddenly doesn't see my hard drive

I have been using a Western Digital external hd for my Time Machine back up. It has worked perfectly. I successfully made a back up at about 11am this morning.

Suddenly, this evening (about 8 hours later), my MacBook no longer shows it in the Finder and when I tried to force a back up it said the back up drive isn't connected. Yet, when I generate a system report from the Apple pull down menu, the drive is shown as being connected to the USB hub.

I have rebooted. no difference. Also change the USB port it is connected to and no difference.

Suggestions?

MacBook, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 6:48 PM

10 replies

Mar 5, 2018 1:54 PM in response to Encryptor5000

this is not good. It is still showing up in the System Report as "My Passport 07BB" But no where else. I tried your suggestion of diskutil list in Terminal and no sign of it there. I take this means I'm shopping for a new HD. Correct?

Considering it cost about $125, I'm not sure how worth while it is to invest in taking it to a repair facility. Any opinions?

suddenly doesn't see my hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.