Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: "Add to existing contact" dialog box has gone

Until recently I had the option of adding, say, and email address to an existing contact by clicking on the address's down arrow in Mac Mail.

I'd click on Add to Contacts and a dialog box would open where I could select which contact to add the address to, or to create a new contact.

Just recently that dialog box has disappeared - all I can do now is create a new contact.

Anybody else noticed this?

All software is the latest version. Happens on iMac and MacBook.

My 1st Apple ll 1982, then-OTHER, iMac, MacBook, iPad, iPhone, Watch

Posted on

Mar 5, 2018 6:15 AM in response to ian-apple In response to ian-apple

ian-apple wrote:

Until recently I had the option of adding, say, and email address to an existing contact by clicking on the address's down arrow in Mac Mail.

I'm not questioning your experience but I have no recollection of that feature on any macOS version. I confirmed it does not exist on Sierra or El Capitan either... the only two I still have lying around.

User uploaded file

If the Contact already exists an option "Show Contact Card" will appear, but nothing resembling "add to existing contact". Same with El Cap and Sierra... in other words HS did not introduce that change.

The option you describe have been placed there by a Mail add-on you had been using, and that is no longer compatible.

Mar 5, 2018 6:15 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 5, 2018 6:32 AM in response to John Galt In response to John Galt

John Galt wrote:

I confirmed it does not exist on Sierra or El Capitan either... the only two I still have lying around.

Thanks John. I checked back as far as Mavericks. It's not there either. I thought maybe I just forgot.

Mar 5, 2018 6:32 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 5, 2018 6:37 AM in response to John Galt In response to John Galt

Thanks for actually reading the question John!

It's really frustrating... I first noticed it about 3 months ago when I began adding logos and photos to Contacts, so I could immediately spot if an email came from a 'known' contact.

Like this:

User uploaded file

So, when I got an email from a new address but an existing contact, I'd click on Add to Contacts and quite a small dialog box would pop up enabling me to choose between a new contact or adding to an existing one by scrolling down the list.

I used it a lot and it's gone. I've never used an add-on...

I'm wondering if it was some sort of short-lived feature that came and went between updates - all I know is it was really useful!

Mar 5, 2018 6:37 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 5, 2018 6:54 AM in response to ian-apple In response to ian-apple

To configure address book you need a webmail account and iCloud account .

The Apple ID is kept same as the web mail address ( could be gmail account or any ) .

In system preferences > iCloud > the user must be signed in with Apple ID .

In system preferences > internet accounts > for web account > all the boxes ( mails , contacts , notes & calendar are checked ) and in iCloud - all boxes are checked except back to Mac .

Open mail application when you receive a mail from some one click on drop down arrow of mail address and click on add to contact it will be added .

User uploaded file

In your Mac if this window doesn't appear either your apple mail application is corrupted or you are using some unidentified apps like some kind of cleaners , anti virus , softwares , that has corrupted the address book or mail application you can use https://etrecheck.com/

It will find out and give the results for the cause .

Sometimes , a new user account is created and then in this you have to configure mail application and address book and tested .

Mails , contacts are stored on the web server and iCloud server and they will get downloaded when applications are configured , some prefer only time machine to restore contacts , but configuring the applications with server is more convenient and it always works ( in case even the hard drive is erased and the OS is installed , just an example the notes , contacts , mails ( for IMAP accounts ) never vanish from the server , once the Mac is connected to the wifi and applications are configured , each and every contact gets downloaded for sure ) .

Mar 5, 2018 6:54 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: ian-apple

Question: "Add to existing contact" dialog box has gone