Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule

Should I run the Ethernet hard wired into the Time Capsule or iMac? Right now I have the Ethernet (internet) ran into my iMac. How do I hook up Time Capsule if I leave that the same way, or do I run iMac via WiFi?

The ATT U Verse router/ modem is 5268AC.

Thank you!

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 2:09 PM

6 replies

Mar 5, 2018 2:11 PM in response to Kev136

Here is more info: Purchased Time Capsule to use a s back ups for my iPad, iMac, iPhone, etc. Right now my ethernet connection is directly "plugged into" my iMac. I've read several forums were people had issues using ATT U Verse with the Apple Time Capsule. I just purchased this via mail, and hope I can use it.

Mar 5, 2018 3:38 PM in response to Kev136

How do I hook up Time Capsule if I leave that the same way, or do I run iMac via WiFi?

Plug the Time Capsule (TC) WAN port into the main router by ethernet.

Then plug the TC to the iMac with second ethernet cable from LAN port.. or wifi is also an option.. but ethernet is always the better, faster, more reliable choice. For the actual setup however keep wireless turned on.. it is not quite but almost essential. IPv6 in the computer should also be set to link-local only if you have issues.

With this physical setup run the airport utility in the Mac and it will configure the TC for you in bridge mode.. which is correct.. you can also use the TC wireless with the same name as the Uverse or different.. that is up to you.. if you setup the TC far from the Uverse.. then running both devices with the same wireless name and same security settings/password will give you much better wifi coverage. On the other hand if the modem and the TC are sitting alongside each other there is no need for both to do wifi. Generally I would therefore recommend the Uverse wireless be turned off.. but there are exceptions where you might want guest wireless.. in which case the uverse can provide that with a different SSID.

Purchased Time Capsule to use a s back ups for my iPad, iMac, iPhone, etc.

Just so you know.. the TC is useless for ipad or iphone.. Apple did not design iOS to use backup target of the TC. It is designed to backup to iTunes on the Mac.. which is then backed up to the TC.. so indirectly backing up the iOS stuff..

Or iCloud.

Mar 5, 2018 8:26 PM in response to Kev136

So much depends now on your Mac OS.. I think more issues arise if you plug the Mac directly into the Uverse as well as the TC.. anyway.. we also have loads of issues with Sierra and later OS.. so all I can say is give it a go and post back if you have issues..

If you had asked before purchase I would say just buy a external drive for an iMac.. you can get self powered 2TB drive which plugs into the back of the iMac and is basically invisible, as well as inaudible.. and you will find it faster and more reliable than network backups.

Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.