Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8 keeps shutting off/restarting

As of a few days ago my iPhone 8 keeps randomly restarting throughout the day. I’ll open safari, messages or will simply be on the home screen and the iPhone restarts. Plus, sometimes after when it restarts my WiFi turns off and I’m unable to turn it back on. I’ve tried resetting my iPhone to factory setting, resetting all of the settings, doing a hard restart, getting rid of apps I thought might be causing it, I’ve tried it all and my iPhone is completely up to date on the latest iOS. Does anybody know what’s happening and why it’s doing this? Thanks

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 7:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2018 12:46 PM

Hi there, Khloe,

Thanks for coming to the Apple Support Communities for help with your iPhone 8. If I understand what's going on, your iPhone is actually unexpectedly shutting itself down, and when it comes on your Wi-Fi is off. If you try to turn Wi-Fi on, it's greyed out and you cannot. I use my iPhone for everything these days, and would definitely need to get a situation like this sorted out as quickly as possible, so I would be happy to help!

I see you've actually done a lot of great troubleshooting already. In fact, you've already done all the troubleshooting I would offer for this issue, so the next step is to get in touch with Apple Support directly. You can do that here: Contact Apple Support .

Have a lovely day!
26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2018 12:46 PM in response to khloekak

Hi there, Khloe,

Thanks for coming to the Apple Support Communities for help with your iPhone 8. If I understand what's going on, your iPhone is actually unexpectedly shutting itself down, and when it comes on your Wi-Fi is off. If you try to turn Wi-Fi on, it's greyed out and you cannot. I use my iPhone for everything these days, and would definitely need to get a situation like this sorted out as quickly as possible, so I would be happy to help!

I see you've actually done a lot of great troubleshooting already. In fact, you've already done all the troubleshooting I would offer for this issue, so the next step is to get in touch with Apple Support directly. You can do that here: Contact Apple Support .

Have a lovely day!

May 16, 2018 5:02 PM in response to tylerfrommoore

They will be if you backed up your phone to iTunes or iCloud (or both). If you did not back it up everything will be lost. Note that it is very easy to set up your phone to back up automatically every night. Something that is really important to do if you have content on the phone that you don't want to lose. Not just for getting it fixed. Suppose you lost it. Or it got run over by a bus.

About backups in iCloud and iTunes - Apple Support

May 17, 2018 7:18 AM in response to tylerfrommoore

To set it up open the Settings app, tap on your name, then iCloud. Turn on iCloud Backups. You can back up immediately if you want to if you have a Wi-Fi connection.

For automatic backups, connect your phone to power and Wi-Fi and lock the screen. The phone will then back up when these conditions are met roughly every 24 hours. The easiest way to meet these conditions is to charge the phone overnight, every night in a location where you have an active Wi-Fi connection.

Jul 30, 2018 8:55 AM in response to khloekak

After a recent software upgrade, my iphone 8 started to have the same issue. It randomly (literally randomly cuz I can't figure out why it is happening) goes off with blue? black empty screen for several seconds and comes back with while apple icon, but it is not actually turning on. After several repeats of this pattern, my phone finally turns on. It is not an wifi issue nor other app issue. It occurs at least 2-3 times a day. Please give us any explanation for this problem.

Nov 10, 2018 8:47 PM in response to khloekak

I have this problem too on my 8 Plus, but without the WIFI. I have the latest software and am only using 66 gb of 256 gigs. It started a few months ago and only did it once in a while... the screen froze, then went black and then the white screen with the Apple logo came up and then it was back up. Happened very infrequently. As time passed it got worse and then one day it did this six times in a row before it came up. Sometimes it won't open at all. Other times, it takes five or more minutes to come back up.

I have had Apple and Verizon run diagnostics and nothing turned up. I even got a new iPhone 8Plus sent to me and once I restored from iTunes, a few minutes in to operating it, it began doing the same thing. I would think it is a software issue if so many others did not have the same problem, so I am totally perplexed. I guess I might start deleting apps one by one to see if the problem goes away... ANYONE?

iPhone 8 keeps shutting off/restarting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.