Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Macintosh HD": is it Alias or Volume?

I am a new Mini owner and adjusting to Apple's way of doing things. In so doing I found the following anomaly. I removed all items, except "Macintosh HD", which was there after installation (10.13.3), from my desktop. When I click on Finder>Desktop there is nothing shown on my desktop. I put a file and an alias to that file on the desktop and both appear but not the "Macintosh HD". Get-info for the "Macintosh HD" lists it as a Volume. In Finder if I click on "Devices>my_user_name's Mac Mini" it lists Macintosh HD, Network and Remote_disc and lists the path as "my_user_names's Mac Mini". If I then click on "Macintosh HD" it lists the contents as Applications, Library, System and Users but now the path is "Macintosh HD". If I then click on Users it lists my_user_name and Shared and further clicking my_user_name gets to the default folders: Desktop ~ thru ~ Public but then clicking on Desktop still does not show "Macintosh HD". So my question is: If "Macintosh HD" is NOT an alias why is it shown on the Desktop and if I remove it am I removing the underlying folder and if it IS an alias why is its icon not listed as an alias? It all seems a bit messy and a trifle recursive. It seems to be kluge of a tree structure.

An explanation of Apple file system structure would be helpful.

P.S. This all came about because I wanted to see if I could hide everything but the menu-bar.

Mac mini, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 8:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 9:13 PM

OK, interesting, by unchecking "Hard Disks" on "show these items on desktop" it is no longer on desktop. Still that means that Finder puts things on the Desktop that do not show up in a normal finder window. Since my original purpose was to completely clear the Desktop you have answered that but I still I find it all a bit squishy. Thanks for your quick response.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2018 9:13 PM in response to Niel

OK, interesting, by unchecking "Hard Disks" on "show these items on desktop" it is no longer on desktop. Still that means that Finder puts things on the Desktop that do not show up in a normal finder window. Since my original purpose was to completely clear the Desktop you have answered that but I still I find it all a bit squishy. Thanks for your quick response.

"Macintosh HD": is it Alias or Volume?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.