Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activation failed and airplay not working after restoring Apple TV

After recently restoring my apple TV, airplay stopped working, and I found this message in the about screen, which reads “activation failed”. I tried restoring twice more, but the problem is persistent.

<Image Edited by Host to Remove Serial Number>

Posted on Mar 6, 2018 12:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2018 1:07 PM

Hello mostafa220,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that you are getting a message that the activation of your Apple TV failed. I have a couple of things that I would suggest trying to sort this out. You may have already tried some of these steps already, but bear with me and go through them again once more. For the restore articles, if you are uncertain about which model of Apple TV you have, the model number in your screen shot indicates is is an Apple TV (3rd generation).

1. Try restarting the Apple TV. Remove ALL the cables for at least 30 seconds.
2. Restart your router.
3. Try the previous steps 2 or 3 times before going to a restore.
4. Restore your Apple TV to its factory settings
5. Restore your Apple TV through iTunes

Best regards.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2018 1:07 PM in response to mostafa220

Hello mostafa220,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that you are getting a message that the activation of your Apple TV failed. I have a couple of things that I would suggest trying to sort this out. You may have already tried some of these steps already, but bear with me and go through them again once more. For the restore articles, if you are uncertain about which model of Apple TV you have, the model number in your screen shot indicates is is an Apple TV (3rd generation).

1. Try restarting the Apple TV. Remove ALL the cables for at least 30 seconds.
2. Restart your router.
3. Try the previous steps 2 or 3 times before going to a restore.
4. Restore your Apple TV to its factory settings
5. Restore your Apple TV through iTunes

Best regards.

Activation failed and airplay not working after restoring Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.