Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gaing free space after deleting partiton

I divided my 3TB Fusion drive into two exact halves. After deleting one of the partitions I'm trying to increase the size of Macintosh HD back to 3TB. That is no possible and more than half of a diagram is hashed and Macintosh HD remains in the half size.

User uploaded file

How can I get back my free space?

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 9, 2018 9:46 AM

18 replies

Mar 9, 2018 3:00 PM in response to Kappy

Well, that is a problem, because the content of my Macintosh HD is about 140GB.

Here is the screenshot showing the difference between the full capacity of Fusion Drive and the capacity of the partition. I'm running my Mac in my first language (Slovak) but the design of the window and size of data is the same in all languages.

User uploaded file

Mar 11, 2018 11:26 AM in response to littlekubo

Yep, another part of the puzzle. Your Fusion Drive configuration. I barely struggled my way through re-creating the Fusion Drive on my iMac after breaking it myself. I don't think I should attempt your setup with my limited experience at the command line.

I have two suggestions for you. First, search the forums for the user, Loner T. The username is case sensitive. He is expert with this sort of stuff. He well may have a solution for you. Second, make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to find a solution for you.

Mar 10, 2018 11:06 AM in response to littlekubo

Well, that explains why you cannot change anything. If you don't have a working Recovery HD, then you will need to boot the computer from some other drive with a bootable system on it. This could even be a USB flash drive used to install OS X.

If the above isn't possible then you can do this all via Internet Recovery. See below:

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the (Command-Option-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the drive (usually, the out-dented entry) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase tab in Disk Utility's main window. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  8. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  9. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  10. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Note:

1. To install the version of OS X that was currently installed use Command-Option-R.

2. To install the original factory version when the computer was new use Command-Option-Shift-R.

Mar 9, 2018 10:25 AM in response to littlekubo

According to the diagram posted your drive now consists of 3.12TBs. When you selected and deleted the other partition it is added automatically to the remaining partition after you click the Apply button. The hashed portion represents the installed system.

If this isn't correct then you need to select the other partition, post another pic but this time of the entire window including what is to the right of the above. When you open Disk Utility please select Macintosh HD from the side list then click on the Partition button in the toolbar. Include a pic of that, too.

Mar 10, 2018 10:02 AM in response to littlekubo

Are you trying this when booted from your Recovery HD? I think because you have a Fusion drive setup that you will have to do this using the Terminal. If you will open Terminal from the Utilities’ folder. At the prompt please paste the following command line:

diskutil list

Press Return. Please post the output here. You can simply use copy and paste to do that.

Mar 10, 2018 10:29 AM in response to Kappy

No, I don't have Recovery HD at the moment.

Here is the list from Terminal

iMac:~ littlekubo$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0 (internal):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme 121.3 GB
disk0

1: EFI EFI 314.6 MB
disk0s1

2: Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD 120.9 GB
disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB
disk0s3

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):

0: GUID_partition_scheme *3.0 TB disk1

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB
disk1s1

2: Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD 1.4 TB disk1s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 1.6 TB disk1s3

/dev/disk2 (internal, virtual):

0: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD +1.6 TB disk2

Logical Volume on disk0s2, disk1s2

84FE01B2-8C0C-4AE9-BB22-9088984F5ECC

Unencrypted Fusion Drive

/dev/disk3 (disk image):

0: GUID_partition_scheme +123.9 MB
disk3

1: Apple_HFS DVBLink Player insta... 123.8 MB
disk3s1

/dev/disk4 (external, physical):

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *32.1 GB disk4

1: DOS_FAT_32 DHARMA 32.1 GB disk4s1

/dev/disk5 (external, physical):

0: GRMCULXFRER_SK_DVD *3.1 GB disk5

/dev/disk6 (disk image):

0: GUID_partition_scheme +8.2 GB disk6

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB
disk6s1

2: Apple_HFS Cities Skylines Gree... 7.8 GB disk6s2

Mar 10, 2018 2:37 PM in response to littlekubo

I believe I see the problem. It appears that your Recovery HD is about 1.4TBs instead of 650MBs as it should be. You may still get back to normal. Open the Terminal. At the prompt enter or paste:

sudo mount -f /dev/disk1s2

Press Return. Authenticate when asked. It will not be displayed in the window. Press Return again.

See if the partition now appears on your Desktop. If it does, then open Disk Utility and see if you cannot erase it and then delete it so you can recover the space to the system volume.

In the pie chart, you see two volumes displayed. The one with crosshatching. The other is smooth. The smooth one is the volume set aside as the Recovery HD. You may also be able to get rid of it by clicking on it on the chart to see if the Delete [-] button is activated. If it is, then click on it to remove the volume. You should now be able to join it to the rest of the drive to make one 3TB volume. You might try this instead of the command line.

Mar 11, 2018 1:17 AM in response to Kappy

I pasted the command you posted into Terminal and here is the result:

mount: /dev/disk1s2: unknown special file or file system.

I tried to open Terminal in Recovery mode but it's not there.

Here is result of command diskutil cs list in case it might help:

+-- Logical Volume Group 9637C49A-5E29-47B7-9792-A2CB1C141FE0

=========================================================

Name: Macintosh HD

Size: 1565854842880 B (1.6 TB)

Free Space: 40960 B (41.0 KB)

|

+-< Physical Volume 79263FE2-025F-4E4C-9E8F-27178A685F59

| ----------------------------------------------------

| Index: 0

| Disk: disk0s2

| Status: Online

| Size: 120883990528 B (120.9 GB)

|

+-< Physical Volume 7211747B-2BBD-4895-9136-DF051A944DCA

| ----------------------------------------------------

| Index: 1

| Disk: disk1s2

| Status: Online

| Size: 1444970852352 B (1.4 TB)

|

+-> Logical Volume Family EDBCADD6-B865-4853-8CCC-BE6DA1642AE3

----------------------------------------------------------

Encryption Type: None

|

+-> Logical Volume 8AB3213F-A673-4233-837C-564618697C22

---------------------------------------------------

Disk: disk2

Size (Total): 1560000069632 B (1.6 TB)

Revertible: No

LV Name: Macintosh HD

Volume Name: Macintosh HD

Content Hint: Apple_HFS

LVG Type: Fusion, Sparse

Mar 11, 2018 11:43 AM in response to littlekubo

Any time. I have so little experience with fixing a CS or Fusion setup that I don't want to guess what to do for others. I don't mind messing up my own computer. Experimenting with someone else's computer isn't usually a good idea. It isn't helping you solve your problem, but I'm doing you a favor. 😁😁

Find Loner T because if he can't help you, then no one can.

Gaing free space after deleting partiton

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.