Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac disk constant crunching

My iMac drive constantly is crunching like it is always doing a backup. When snoop is open in a terminal window you see a constant scroll of:

"dtrace error on enabled probe ID5 (ID 158:syscall::open:return): invalid user access in action #11 at DIF offset 24"

If I close Safari (only app running) the error scroll eventually slows. Does anyone know what is happening here? and how to stop it. It negatively impacts performance of my mac as often when the drive is crunching i end up with a nicely colored spinning wheel.

I am running on an iMac mid 2011 with a 3.4 GHZ processor and 4 GB memory. I have Sierra version 10.12.6 but have had this problem with earlier versions of OS as well.

Thanks!

Jane

Posted on Mar 9, 2018 6:55 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Mar 9, 2018 7:47 PM in response to Jane Mullins

I don't understand what you mean by crunching.

Try running this program in your normal user account, then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy Report” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. You can run the report for free at least once, but if you run it several times, at some point it will ask you to pay a license fee.

Etrecheck – System Information

Mar 10, 2018 9:26 AM in response to Eric Root

I mean disk thrashing if this is more descriptive. I am reluctant to put an app on my system from an unknown source if you know what I mean. Here is a screen shot of the snoop:

Last login: Fri Mar 9 18:38:01 on ttys001

rich-schneiders-iMac-6:~ richschneider$

[Restored Mar 10, 2018, 9:17:13 AM]

Last login: Fri Mar 9 18:56:33 on ttys000

rich-schneiders-iMac-6:~ richschneider$ sudo opensnoop

Password:

dtrace: system integrity protection is on, some features will not be available

UID PID COMM FD PATH

501 362 HP Device Monito 24 /Library/Printers/hp/Frameworks/HPDM.framework/Versions/5.0/PlugIns

dtrace: error on enabled probe ID 5 (ID 158: syscall::open:return): invalid user access in action #11 at DIF offset 24

dtrace: error on enabled probe ID 5 (ID 158: syscall::open:return): invalid user access in action #11 at DIF offset 24

iMac disk constant crunching

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.