Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPx Memory issues - Crash

I am having serious problems with FCPx 10.4 for a week, with memory crashes caused by both Importing and/or Rendering.

I am importing/rendering to external drives, yet FCPx gobbles up all my 30Gb space on my internal drive when importing or rendering, and also does same for RAM memory, within a minute or so of starting the process, bringing my computer to a crash.

The program is unusable at present, and causing havoc.

(In fact after my last crash, even my Mail accounts were all missing. Thankfully on a subsequent reboot they appeared again.)

I have tried trashing preferences, but to no avail.

Regards,

Geoff

Final Cut Pro X, macOS Sierra (10.12.5), FCPX 10.4, COMPRESSOR 4.3.2

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 9:06 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 12, 2018 9:23 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I have a 500Gb SSD drive, but have not had an issue with this amount of space. I use FCPx weekly, and have had only about 20Gb available for about a year, having only recently freed up a further 10Gb. Though I'd like more free space, I have never previously had an issue with memory while importing or exporting/rendering.

Strangely, I just rebooted and it carried on with the share/render without issues (either space or ram). The problem appears to be intermittent.

Thanks,

Geoff

Mar 12, 2018 10:03 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks Tom, I appreciate the good advice, but I have been using FCPx without issues like this for years, with little drive space, even less (it's always been a battle, that's why I use external drives for all my rendering, cache, backups and libraries). Not only is the disk space getting used up (which it never has before), the Memory (Activity Monitor) is also bloating out to over 30Gb before the system crashes.

There is something amiss, or a memory leak that has appeared, apart from my limited space.

Regards,

Geoff

Mar 12, 2018 10:27 PM in response to gmrsamson

I have again just rendered (i.e., "Shared") another FCPx episode (similar to my previous one), also to Pro Res 422, and this time had no issues at all. The Activity Monitor > Memory (FCPx) didn't appear to go beyond 1.67Gb (at a brief peak), and practically no internal drive space was used. CPU usage peaked up to around 400%, which may be normal, I don't know.

So this was back to normal for some reason, after a reboot. I can't explain the intermittent problem, but I will report here if I find it, in case it's helpful to someone.

Geoff

FCPx Memory issues - Crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.