Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Faces merge automatically in Photo 3.0

Hi

I am having problem with Photo merging me and my son in "People". I have tried to delete all faces in my sons profile and then add him again, I have tried to delete all faces and reindex all faces. No luck. After a while thousands of pictures on me winds up in my sons profile. I am in contact with Apple but they need to "talk to the technicians" and do not have a clue. Anyone?

I use an Imac late 2009 (on high Sierra) as main computer, an Ipad pro and an Iphone 8. The problem only seems to occur on the Imac. The other devices display me and my son correct.

Erik

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 12:00 PM

4 replies

Mar 13, 2018 12:15 PM in response to Kire012

This has been reported by several people. The people albums of near relatives get merged.

You have to be very careful, if you are seeing two people with the same thumbnail in the People album. Do not merge two albums without looking into the albums and checking, if all photos in the album are the same as the photo of the thumbnail you are seeing.

Mar 13, 2018 12:55 PM in response to Kire012

There is no support document by Apple how to deal with this problem.

On my Macs I solved it by deleting all albums with named faces from the People albums on all my devices at the same time, so iCloud Photo Library could not sync back the wrong faces names from other devices. Then I started over with naming faces only on one device, on the Mac I am using most of the time.

Mar 13, 2018 5:11 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for sharing your solution. In my caae I do not see how this could help me since my other devices are correct. Its only the IMac that has this problem and on this machine I have removed all faces and therefore forcing a reindexing. This reindexing affects all devices. The same problem returns after a while but only on the iMac.

I think I Will wait until the next update and see if they have solved this problem then.

Erik

Faces merge automatically in Photo 3.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.