Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 10 vs 11

i keep getting bugged by apple to upgrade to ios 11. my cursory review seems to indicate no big whoppee most of changes appear to be to support apple apps that i don't use as they are inferior. am o missing something ?

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 12:46 PM

I am kind of like you and need a good reason to upgrade before I will. Security is a black box so it is hard to judge it. I have never run a current operating system and nothing bad has ever happened to me. Mind you I have nothing worth stealing either so maybe I don't sweat it. New iOS version have a few more apps but if you don't need them then why bother. There's bug fixes but then there's always new bugs with those fixes. One thing to keep in mind is that should you ever need to recover your phone you're going to get the new iOS whether you like it or not.

I guess the main reason to upgrade iOS is even if you run old apps, new versions will appear that may require the new iOS, or you may want a non-Apple app which does. It's tricky finding anything for iOS9 on the App Store these days and iO10 is next in line.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2018 12:46 PM in response to Jason Hirsh

I am kind of like you and need a good reason to upgrade before I will. Security is a black box so it is hard to judge it. I have never run a current operating system and nothing bad has ever happened to me. Mind you I have nothing worth stealing either so maybe I don't sweat it. New iOS version have a few more apps but if you don't need them then why bother. There's bug fixes but then there's always new bugs with those fixes. One thing to keep in mind is that should you ever need to recover your phone you're going to get the new iOS whether you like it or not.

I guess the main reason to upgrade iOS is even if you run old apps, new versions will appear that may require the new iOS, or you may want a non-Apple app which does. It's tricky finding anything for iOS9 on the App Store these days and iO10 is next in line.

Mar 13, 2018 1:41 PM in response to Jason Hirsh

If you have a relatively recent device, you're not likely to see a performance hit. There was a temporary hit when updating to iOS 11 because of a change in file structure. For the vast majority of people, this was something that lasted for about twenty-four hours after updating while the system finished up the background tasks.

I understand that the security patches were tested and show to have insignificant impact,

My understanding is that wasn't the case at all. There was a feature built into iOS 11.2 ( I think) that does, under some conditions, throttle iPhones that have failing batteries. This is to prevent total shut down. It's also easily resolved by replacing the failing battery. It does not apply to iPads. I have the latest version of iOS 11 on both my iPhone 7+ and my iPad Pro 9.7. Other than the aforementioned issue the day or so after updating, I've experienced no changes in performance.

I'm not sure what you mean by "every iOS release seems to try to force me to use products like apple maps and Photos". They are both iOS apps but, not only do you not have to use them, you can even delete them if you don't like them.

Remove built-in Apple apps from the Home screen on your iOS 10 device or Apple Watch - Apple Support

Mar 13, 2018 1:07 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I appreciate the input,,,, I was aware of the speculative vulnerabilities. I guess I wish they could have done the security patch with the bloat of a full release. Considering my enforced limited use of iPAD to entertainment and navigation..I still can't introducing the downside in performance.... I understand that the security patches were tested and show to have insignificant impact, every iOS release seems to try to force me to use products like apple maps and Photos I usally have to take significant action to deactivate the new defaults

Mar 13, 2018 4:14 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

apple reset defaults as to what apps open in regards to what files. this can be a problem with my photos. yiu gave to go through some effort to once again out the app in it's not use status

as far as removing. the link talks about removing from home screen not the device. memory used but app is still used

each ios or macos release seems to have a sub purpose of pushing devices into obsolence .. one of those near thing about close systems

thanks for taking the time and for your info

ios 10 vs 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.