Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

importing library.xml crashes iTunes

Greetings. Have added music (almost 300gb, via an external harddrive) to iTunes.

Have a (70mb) library.xml file from 2014 which

laylists

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 7:18 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 14, 2018 7:37 AM in response to Limnos

Greetings.

Trying to set up music on an Mac mini using Yosemite & iTunes v12.5

Have added music (almost 300gb, via an external harddrive) to iTunes.

Have a (70mb) library.xml file from 2014 which has lots of playlists that I had created over the years prior.

Trying to "import playlist" that file, after a long attempt either crashes iTunes or comes back with "unknown error (-50)

I have various .itl files as well, but nothing happens (No playlists added) when "import playlist" any of those.

Have run "Organize library" in case that might help, also restarted everything, disconnected reconnected harddrives, but no joy.

I know the playlists are on that . xml file as searching for a specific name of a playlist brings that file in computer search results.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions!

Mar 14, 2018 7:42 AM in response to adriank

Error -50 is a very unhelpful generic communications error with a number of possible causes. Something between the drive to which you are downloading and the drive from which it is all coming is not working correctly, with probably dozens of possibilities.

This drive is Mac formatted? The library file is on the same drive as the music files you added?

Create a new, test library on your computer by holding down the option/alt key while starting iTunes. See if you can import into that.

Mar 14, 2018 8:12 AM in response to Limnos

Thank you.

To be imported file was on the harddrive. Also copied to the computer music folder tried it from there.

A new file created was also in the computer music/itunes folder despite music files being on the external harddrive (changed location on the settings)

Am currently stuck waiting for it to go through folder reorganisation possibly a few hours.

I'll try the restart option once it's done.

importing library.xml crashes iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.