Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which is best iphotos or Photos

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), could it be the mouse

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 11:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 1:20 AM

Not even a question - Photos

iPhoto was discontinued over three years ago and has not ben updaed since nor will it ever be and someday with some upgrade it will quit working with no warning

Photos {which is different and requires earning and different work flows - Notes on Migrating an iPhoto Library from iPhoto to Photos for Mac ) is supported and updated regularly with each new OS update, is more stable and much more feature rich than iPhoto

LN

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2018 1:20 AM in response to David Mooney

Not even a question - Photos

iPhoto was discontinued over three years ago and has not ben updaed since nor will it ever be and someday with some upgrade it will quit working with no warning

Photos {which is different and requires earning and different work flows - Notes on Migrating an iPhoto Library from iPhoto to Photos for Mac ) is supported and updated regularly with each new OS update, is more stable and much more feature rich than iPhoto

LN

Mar 15, 2018 1:30 PM in response to David Mooney

It is hard to say - it would be comparing apples with pears.

Look at OT's user tip: Photos 3.0 vs iPhoto 9.6.1: Features and Capabilities

iPhoto is better at batch changing and the handling of metadata, also the tools for creating projects (books, cards, calendars) are better. Photos, on the other hand, has the better support for iCloud Photo Library and integrates better with the current system versions. It also has a much better support for external editors and more advanced editing tools.

And Photos is well supported, while iPhoto has not seen an update for more than two years. The raw formats for the new cameras are not supported in iPhoto. You cannot even purchase iPhoto any longer for any system version newer than 10.9. Mavericks.

Mar 16, 2018 12:19 AM in response to Keith Barkley

And I believe you can no longer order books, calendars or cards from iPhoto.

This option seems to be back, Keith. Apple relented half a year after they stopped the service and we can order again iPhoto books from iPhoto '11, but for Aperture it is still not possible. (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201882) It is such a relief, that we can at least use iPhoto 9.6.1 again to create books. I made one book in Photos 2.0, and it took me two weeks. In Aperture or iPhoto I could have done it in one day, once the photos had been collected in an album. The biggest problem with books in Photos is, that the tools for adding captions are poor. It is not possible to copy the titles, dates, captions automatically to the text fields, and it is not possible to open the Info panel for a photos added to the book, unless we open the Photo in Edit mode. While pacing photos, we cannot see the pixel size, the dates, the titles. I am using iPhoto again for books, since I do not want books without captions. I hope, printing from iPhoto will remain possible, until the books in Photos will be improved.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.