Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Messages going offline when macbook is on sleep or shut

I have only one account on Messages, which is a Google account.

I don't understand why Messages goes offline when I shut the lid of my Macbook or shut it down even when "When I quit Messages, set my status to Offline" is unticked and "Set my status to Away after the computer is inactive" is ticked. I do not quit Messages at any point.

User uploaded file

MacBook

Posted on

Page content loaded

Mar 15, 2018 2:14 PM in response to Shweta_SV In response to Shweta_SV

Hi,

Closing the lid puts the computer to Sleep.

This cuts the Internet connection

it's a normal function.

User uploaded file

9:14 pm Thursday; March 15, 2018

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 11.x and an iPad (2)

Mar 15, 2018 2:14 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 16, 2018 12:29 PM in response to Shweta_SV In response to Shweta_SV

Hi,

If Registered devices cannot be reached the iMessages Server(s) keep trying until the iMessages are accepted.

It could be viewed that they are "Offline" messages as it appears that they are the same as the way AIM used to do things

The Server are continuing to "Push" the messages at the devices when there are some to Send.

Mail tends to work on your App fetching any email from those emails server you use.

The difference is that once the iMessages are accepted by the devices the item is deleted from the Servers.

This means new Devices cannot get older iMessages.

IMAP mail server require you Trash items you don't want. Until then any new device can Fetch the emails from the server.

User uploaded file

7:29 pm Friday; March 16, 2018

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 16, 2018 12:29 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 20, 2018 10:59 AM in response to Shweta_SV In response to Shweta_SV

Once you go back online and have an Internet connection, you should then receive any messages that have not previously downloaded. The reverse of what you posted.

From Ralph's post above.

"If Registered devices cannot be reached the iMessages Server(s) keep trying until the iMessages are accepted."

Mar 20, 2018 10:59 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 21, 2018 2:16 PM in response to Eric Root In response to Eric Root

Opps,

I had been talking about an iMessages account and had not picked up on the fact the App was running with just an Active Google Login.

I have been trying to remember if there was such a setting at Google (In the Googlemail Settings)

See here https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-difference-between-different-offline-chat-messag es-in-gmail

It appears at one time there was.

However it appears there is no such Setting now.

User uploaded file

I then accessed the Google Account settings themselves and still found nothing.

Google Searches for "Does GoogleTalk Do Off Line Chat Messages" I did not find any clear info.

User uploaded file

9:16 pm Wednesday; March 21, 2018

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 21, 2018 2:16 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 21, 2018 2:28 PM in response to Ralph Johns (UK) In response to Ralph Johns (UK)

Hi,

Found this dated 2008

http://googletalk.blogspot.co.uk/2006/11/offline-messages.html

However the links about Turning it on bring up a generic messages about GoogleTalk app for Windows has closed.

EDIT.

And this https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/16281

Seems it was stopped and can't be fixed.

User uploaded file

9:22 pm Wednesday; March 21, 2018

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 21, 2018 2:28 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 22, 2018 1:02 AM in response to Ralph Johns (UK) In response to Ralph Johns (UK)

Thanks for doing all this work for me, Ralph.

I do receive offline messages in my gmail account. When I log in to the account to check mail, the in-built Google Hangouts (which is what GChat and GTalk are now) shows me all the chat messages I received when I was offline.

But I do not get those same messages on the iMessages app.

I guess we've hit a dead-end here, haven't we?

In this scenario, I'm not sure if contacting Google assistance, like Eric suggests, will make any difference. Or will it?

Mar 22, 2018 1:02 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 22, 2018 12:32 PM in response to Shweta_SV In response to Shweta_SV

Hi,

I set up GoogleTalk when iChat 3 came out.

The app was already doing AIM chats and those did do Off Line Messaging with clear setting on how it was set up.

As GoogleTalk was a Jabber server it could depend if the server you joined was actually using the feature.

I have resisted Hangouts and other features from Google other than Mail.

As I said I seem to remember more settings in the Chat "page" of the Mail Setting when you login from a Web Browser.

For my reply above I was mainly searching for GoogleTalk info.

There may be some traction in what Eric says by either searching in any Hangouts FAQs or by contacting Google in some way like their forums.

User uploaded file

7:32 pm Thursday; March 22, 2018

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 22, 2018 12:32 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 23, 2018 12:25 PM in response to Shweta_SV In response to Shweta_SV

Understood.

User uploaded file

7:25 pm Friday; March 23, 2018

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 23, 2018 12:25 PM

Reply Helpful

Apr 24, 2018 5:59 AM in response to Shweta_SV In response to Shweta_SV

I have exactly the same problem. iChat which is the same as Messages by 90% goes offline no matter what I've set in the Preferences: Set my status to offline upon quitting iChat is unselected as is Set my status to away if computer is inactive. The setting When I return and my status is away then set my status to present doesn't come into effect.

I use only Google accounts. iChat goes offline and does not resume to its active status no matter if these settings are active or not. For some reason even when I'm working at my Mac one or all of my Google accounts are randomly showed as "switched off" or smth along the lines of this wording. What gives?

Apr 24, 2018 5:59 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Shweta_SV

Question: Messages going offline when macbook is on sleep or shut