Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes won't let me save album artwork

iTunes won't let me save Album artwork. Here's what happens:

When I add album artwork the picture displays in the artwork area and I choose, "ok". I then get a message that asks me if I am certain I want to add to multiple items and I say "yes". However, the artwork didn't save. Next time I open up a song, the artwork is missing.

I found the following advice from an iTunes answer from 2015. I followed the instructions. They did not solve the problem.

"iTunes cannot add artwork to tracks in .wav format, that are locked as read-only, or for which the security permissions are set incorrectly. See Repair security permissions for iTunes for Windows.

tt2"

I have Windows 10 PC and am using iTunes version 12.7.3.46 Please help me solve this problem. I have tons of albums to record.

Posted on

null-OTHER, Windows 10, product is a PC

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 9:37 AM

From the post you quoted:

iTunes cannot add artwork to tracks in .wav format

You can convert the tracks to Apple Lossless format which will allow you to add artwork and ensure that if you copied the tracks into a new library you would get all of the tag information. With .wav files all you would get would be the filename as a the track name. See Convert a song to a different file format with iTunes - Apple Support.

tt2

Similar questions

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2018 9:37 AM in response to kvhpkh

From the post you quoted:

iTunes cannot add artwork to tracks in .wav format

You can convert the tracks to Apple Lossless format which will allow you to add artwork and ensure that if you copied the tracks into a new library you would get all of the tag information. With .wav files all you would get would be the filename as a the track name. See Convert a song to a different file format with iTunes - Apple Support.

tt2

Mar 18, 2018 8:15 AM in response to Lady Louisa

OK, I misunderstood what you were saying about where you were storing the pictures, so ignore all of that.

If you add content to a new library then artwork which was previously downloaded from the store rather than embedded might not be always be tracked down again.

The Repair security permissions for iTunes for Windows tip covers the permissions that should apply to folders you want to import from, but I would be surprised if they are wrong. What format are the images that you're downloading. As noted instead of using the Add Artwork button just open the Get Info dialog for an entire album, then drag the image from Windows Explorer to either the Artwork tab or the small square box at the top left. You can also use Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V to copy and then paste if arranging the windows to set up drag and drop is too limiting.

tt2

Mar 16, 2018 8:50 AM in response to kvhpkh

So what format are the tracks in that you want to add artwork to? Have you checked to make sure that the permissions are correct and that the files are not marked as read only. Work with a single file to start with. Do you see the Artwork tab in Get Info and can you paste into it? Source files should normally be square and 600-800px in .jpg format. If the files are in .mp3 format see the note in the user tip about the potential problems caused by multiple tags.

tt2

Mar 17, 2018 12:52 PM in response to turingtest2

Hi, jumping in here, similar problem, except that I have always put any Artwork I need in a Pictures folder sub category Album Artwork. This worked until last night, and suddenly when I first put the Artwork in that Folder it is there, but when i tunes opens that folder there is nothing there!!, it just started very suddenly, whilst spending hours re-doing my library after not being able to use latest i tunes update with my Windows 10, so I now use a previous version of i tunes and am in the process of re-building my library. Not sure if this is Windows or Apple. Very disheartening, working perfectly over the last hours and days, now suddenly not.

Mar 17, 2018 1:00 PM in response to Lady Louisa

Well the Album Artwork folder inside the main iTunes library folder really belongs to iTunes and isn't for the user to poke around in. It is used as an artwork cache with a very particular arrangement of folders and subfolders. Anything that iTunes didn't put in there is liable to purging. That said if you see the image you want in Explorer, then you can drag if from there to an open Get Info dialog, either on to the Artwork tab, or the small image placeholder at the top left.

tt2

Mar 18, 2018 7:47 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you. I do not even know where to find the iTunes Album Artwork. I am re-building my Library from scratch from an 'old' Library which I got to work in my 'backdated' i Tunes so it is a little out of date, but usuable-just. All of the Albums in that Library had Artwork, but many did not carry over to new installation so I started to find the Album Covers on Goggle images and save these in my 'Picture' folder in Windows 10 sub folder Album Artwork. This has worked fine for several days during this re-build. Then, suddenly 2 or 3 days ago having placed some covers into the folder as usual, they were just not there. In Explorer they are there, but when trying to access them as usual through Get Info, the folder shows as 'empty'!!, and at the moment I cannot see a 'work around'. I did make a new pictures folder and Album Covers folders, and tried that way, and again, there in Explorer but showing empty when access via i Tunes. All my files are MP3's and had the correct covers in the previous library.

Mar 18, 2018 4:56 PM in response to turingtest2

If I may report another problem which occurred after solving my first problem (and it is related): My songs aren't showing up in the list of songs now. I have to go to my recently added playlist in order to view them. What happened? Is there a setting that I inadvertently changed? I always was able to see them at the bottom of the "Name" category before when alphabetized. Now they aren't there.

iTunes won't let me save album artwork

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.