Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Filevault paused

Sierra OSX 10.12.6 on iMac (late 2015)

HD capacity 3.1 TB, available 2.48 TB

Started Filevault 6 days ago. Progress was ongoing for 3 days, then appeared to be stuck at 63%. Yesterday I didn't look at it, but today it shows 'Encryption paused'. How can I get Filevault to continue? Or what should I do now?

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 9:08 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 17, 2018 2:01 AM in response to chankirtan

See this article macOS Sierra: Encrypt the contents of your Mac with FileVault

Note: If you see an alert message that encryption has been paused, your Mac may have detected a problem that could keep the encryption from completing successfully. For example, if your portable computer is not plugged into an electrical outlet, the encryption process may pause until the power plug is connected.

Mar 17, 2018 7:36 AM in response to tygb

Thanks, tygb. I had already seen that article. There is not a lot of information there. For one thing, this is an iMac, not a Macbook Pro.

I restarted my machine, and since then it seems to be continuing encryption, however slowly (at a crawl). An article at http://osxdaily.com/2017/02/08/view-filevault-progress-mac/ explains how to view the encryption process in Terminal, which shows a little more information than the Preferences panel, and conversion is now at 66% compared to 63% earlier before it paused. So I'm hopeful that it will continue. I'll report back after a day or so. Doesn't look like it's going to complete before another few days. Sigh.

Filevault paused

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.