Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod doesn't know location?

HomePod tells me it doesn't know my location when requesting weather? I've checked that location services are on for the HomePod in HomeKit on my iPhone for the HomePod. None of the other apple stuff has this problem on my wifi.

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2018 1:34 PM

I've been having the same issue. After talking to Apple Support on the phone, I had reset my HomePod, restarted my cable modem/router, ensured my iPads and MacBook Pro could still find their location on the Maps app, but still the HomePod didn't know its location. The Apple Support person then put me on hold for a few minutes. When she came back, she had me go into the Home app on my iPhone, press on the HomePod icon on the screen, press the "Details" button, then go down to Location Services and turn it off for 10 seconds. Once I turned it back on, my HomePod was able to give me the current temperature and weather. Yay!

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2018 1:34 PM in response to WDI

I've been having the same issue. After talking to Apple Support on the phone, I had reset my HomePod, restarted my cable modem/router, ensured my iPads and MacBook Pro could still find their location on the Maps app, but still the HomePod didn't know its location. The Apple Support person then put me on hold for a few minutes. When she came back, she had me go into the Home app on my iPhone, press on the HomePod icon on the screen, press the "Details" button, then go down to Location Services and turn it off for 10 seconds. Once I turned it back on, my HomePod was able to give me the current temperature and weather. Yay!

Mar 17, 2018 9:23 PM in response to turingtest2

Interesting reply. Thanks! But, how do you know my network is not in the database? It was working up until about 2 days ago. Not really sure when it stopped working but that's when I noticed it. I do understand how location services work on apple things as far as having to allow access. I also know my ISP have been doing some work in the area as I've had some internet outages and when I call they state so. They also had to upgrade my modem when I lost speed stating my older modem was no longer compatible.

Mar 18, 2018 7:05 AM in response to WDI

Assuming your location was previously based on mapping information of known SSID and MAC address locations, changing out your gear would mean your location has a new signature. If it had been captured already then the HomePod and Mac should both be able to give your location, so the conclusion is that your signature is not yet in the database. If your new router has the option to set its MAC addresses manually, and you give it the same SSID name and MAC addresses as your old router, then the location ought to be found again.

tt2

Mar 20, 2018 12:10 PM in response to turingtest2

Hello turingtest2. I really appreciate your replies helping me understand how all this works. Though I must admit I'm a little fuzzy on the understanding aspect. I've never had this issue before at multiple locations with many different equipment and service providers. Apple has taken a lot of time helping me trouble shoot unsuccessfully. And my ISP, through much pushing on my end, has looked into the issue stating there is nothing wrong on their end. Being clueless I even exchanged my ISPs modem to see if that would rectify the situation. It didn't.

So just to reiterate, my current configuration is ISP modem in bridge mode connected to Time Capsule (6th generation) doing the Wi-Fi with a Airport Extreme(6th generation) extending the wireless network. Again, this issue just started approximately a week ago. I am in a new location since July and things were working fine. However, there has been some changes recently. Originally I had and older Airport Extreme (shorter one I think 5th generation without 802.11ac) connected to my ISP router creating the WI-FI network and the 6th generation Airport Time Capsule extending the WI-FI. Apple had me flip the Airport Extreme with the Time Capsule so as the newer Time Capsule was directly connected to my ISP router and thus creating the WI-FI network which was then extended with the 5th Generation Airport Extreme. Apple had me do this because the Apple TV was failing to connect all the time to the network. Oddly though, the Apple TV had been working fine without issue for months before in the old configuration. Anyways, the Apple TV issue was probably related to my ISP upgrading there network in my area as I was having many down times. I noticed at this time that I was not getting the speeds I was supposed to. My ISP switched out my modem for a newer one compatible with the changes they made in my area and speeds returned to normal. Since the older 5th generation Airport Extreme was now located in the main WI-FI traffic area I decided I'd just upgrade it with the newer 6th generation model. Anyways, WI-FI is fine and speeds are good. But it seems at some point around this time is when things based on geolocation started failing. For instance I have a schedule in HomeKit to turn a light on and off based on sunrise/sunset. This obviously is now failing. Etc.

Apple had me test the HomePod and Mac by connecting to a different network, my old location which I still have access to. They both worked fine. HomePod told me the correct location, the exact address, and the Mac was able to set the TimeZone automatically.

So, basically, everyone is at a loss as to what the cause is. I think you are on to something. But it is above my head how to rectify the situation. I checked out the link you posted, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_positioning_system, and not sure exactly what it means. Also, not sure if I should post a screen shot for you to interpret. Is there a way to send you a screen shot privately?

IP2Location looks pretty accurate as far as I can tell.

ipinfo.io & EurekAPI shows "Not Available" for everything

DB-IP & MaxMind show two different cities close by but not exact with MaxMind showing "Not Available" for my ISP.

If you actually read all this much appreciated. It's a lot. This issue has wasted too much of my time but I'd like to get it resolved but I'm starting to give up on it. Apple tech is getting back with me Thursday to try troubleshooting some more.

Mar 20, 2018 12:57 PM in response to WDI

Unfortunately I don't have any official information to work off so I'm trying to read between the lines of what is available. Here is another possible explanation of how the Mac (and one assumes the HomePod) estimate their location: macos - How does my iMac know my location in the maps app, given that I use a VPN that has my IP about 200 miles from wh…. Again if it was equipment that you've taken out of service that was providing your key location data then it would make sense that removing it would remove the ability to see where you are. How many other Wi-Fi access points are visible at your location? I see around 10. If you only see a few then changes in one of those could affect you.

Reading between the lines it seems your Mac and HomePod may be taking two Wi-Fi jumps before they reach the internet. I wonder if you can temporarily set up them so they connect using the first wireless device in the chain helps with location services.

tt2

HomePod doesn't know location?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.