Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seagate 1TB stuck in trash

My Seagate external hard drive worked with Time machine up until 2/10 when I tried to eject it and it stuck in the trash with two QuickBook files open. Went to Time Machine which indicated a backup interrupted. Plugged in Seagate and let it back up for hours; still in trash. Seagate support offered a Paragon fix which not only failed, but now Time Machine does not recognize the drive. I can only eject it through Home or Computer, but it's still in the trash. Any ideas are MUCH appreciated. (I just want to use this drive for one thing: QuickBooks backup.)

MacBook Pro, iOS 10

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 12:41 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Mar 18, 2018 6:46 PM in response to Befuddled66

Does it mount at all? You didn't mention which computer, which may affect the options you have to reformat.

Sometimes there are tricky situations where it just won't reformat. The ways around that are maybe use an old Mac to reformat, or take it to a Windows machine to reformat. A Windows machine won't recognize a Mac format, and with then offer to reformat it. From that point you can take it back and it should be possible to reformat for the Mac.

Mar 21, 2018 10:10 AM in response to y_p_w

The solution turned out to be much simpler. As a newbie, I didn’t realize that I could turn the continual backup off through the Time Machine icon at the top. Once the backup stopped, the drive pulled out of the Trash unharmed. Lesson learned: Never drag the Seagate to the Trash to eject it. Must go to Finder to eject.

I learned this from a great Geek Squad guy at Best Buy where I bought the drive. Thanks to him, and again, thanks to you for your willingness to help out. It’s much appreciated.

Mar 21, 2018 10:49 AM in response to Befuddled66

Befuddled66 wrote:

The solution turned out to be much simpler. As a newbie, I didn’t realize that I could turn the continual backup off through the Time Machine icon at the top. Once the backup stopped, the drive pulled out of the Trash unharmed. Lesson learned: Never drag the Seagate to the Trash to eject it. Must go to Finder to eject.

I learned this from a great Geek Squad guy at Best Buy where I bought the drive. Thanks to him, and again, thanks to you for your willingness to help out. It’s much appreciated.

That was it? It's been a long time since the trash can was used to eject. I remember that's how a floppy was ejected with an old Mac.

Seagate 1TB stuck in trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.