Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Why am I still getting 'unknown primary or operator" on the -L primary of 'find'?

Why am I still getting 'unknown primary or operator" on the -L primary of 'find'?

This has persisted since Yosemite, and is still happening on Sierra. According the the man-page, this is supposed to be a legal option. Is it possible I'm using it in the wrong place in the command?

find -L . -name spotstop

Posted on

Page content loaded

Mar 18, 2018 10:10 AM in response to dialabrain In response to dialabrain

I replied to Barney-15E, and let me add that in my sample, the 'spotstop' file is a symlink. Today, the same command on Yosemite went on for over 40 seconds before I terminated it with crtl-C. find -L . -name stopspot

Mar 18, 2018 10:10 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 18, 2018 10:20 AM in response to dickguertin In response to dickguertin

And here's more information ... When done WITHOUT the -L, the command completes in a few seconds.

Here are the files involved:

==> ls -l spotstop stopspot

-rwxrwxrwx 1 dickguertin admin 2970 Oct 31 2015 spotstop

lrwxr-xr-x 1 dickguertin admin 8 Nov 30 2012 stopspot -> spotstop

Mar 18, 2018 10:20 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: dickguertin

Question: Why am I still getting 'unknown primary or operator" on the -L primary of 'find'?