Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Mid 2017 popping sound. Defective screen?

I bought my MPB 15-in Space Gray (2017) in September 2017. In the first month, the computer started to make really loud popping sounds, like mini-explosions. First I thought it was coming from the speakers, but after I pay a little bit more of attention I noticed it was coming from the screen.

Every time the computer got a little heated, like watching a video on youtube or working on photoshop, and more constantly when the computer had to do heavier process work, like exporting raw pictures from lightroom. It was really loud, and sometimes bit of compelling, like in class room for example. It was noticeable that there was something wrong.

I took to Apple Genius Bar and they took my computer to Memphis, TN. There, as documented by them, they changed my entire display piece. The process was surprisingly fast. I took there 8th march and got it back 12th.

However, in the same day with the computer, in the first few hours, I started to hear the popping sounds again. It was really lower sounds than before, but pretty noticeable in a silent work place or studying at home.

I investigated and found the situations that the sound happens this time:

- when turning on the computer, or coming back from sleep, the computer makes a popping noise, apparently coming from the left site of the screen.

- exporting photos from Lightroom, the fans start to work and the computer makes a sequence of popping sounds. Kind of 7 or 8 in sequence. The same popping noise described in the previous topic.

- when the work is done and the fans stop working, the machine starts to cools down and makes many popping sounds in sequence again. Exactly same sound, coming from the left side of the screen.

- watching a video on youtube, less frequently, the MPB 2017 makes a few popping sounds.

- also, when moving the screen a little bit, adjusting the angle, it makes the same popping sound, but a little bit louder than the previous described.

- Found that touching some parts of the bottom part surface close to the screen, also produces the popping noise.

All these situations described wasn't happening before the first screen change. That what makes me think the problem is with the displays.

I went to Apple Store's Genius Bar today, 18th March, and told them everything I described here. The attendand could not hear the popping sound, and it's obvious because there was a huge crowd there. She took my computer to the back of the store and came back some minutes later. She told me she couldn't hear the sound but that the specialized technician told that there was reportedly an issue with the macbook screens. I ask "why?" and she told me that they don't know.

They took my computer again, telling me they would send to repair again, but that they could change the screen or not (!!), and even if they change, it could have the same problem (!!!!).

I answer her telling that I would keep taking my computer there until it is resolved and she didn't tell anything.

I don't know if it is related to the screen or maybe some malfunction on the computer itself, but I know that it is definely not ok for a $2800 computer.

They didn't offer me a new computer neither told me that the issue would be solved one way or another.

I need help on what to do in case of the don't solve the problem. I have yet 6 months of warranty and I dont want a defectived computer for such expensive price. It is definitely not acceptable.

That's all my case with my Macbook Pro.

I'll update this thread with more information as soon as I have it back.

Regards.

Posted on Mar 18, 2018 11:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2018 12:59 AM

Just an update.

This is what Apple repaired under warranty. Between drop-off and pick-up, it was gone for five (5) days. Apple did a great job on the repair, and it's been running great since I got it back.

User uploaded file

Since I got it back, the MacBook Pro runs a LOT cooler than it did before, the fans seldom come on, and the random heat-related popping has stopped altogether.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2018 12:59 AM in response to Marcelo269

Just an update.

This is what Apple repaired under warranty. Between drop-off and pick-up, it was gone for five (5) days. Apple did a great job on the repair, and it's been running great since I got it back.

User uploaded file

Since I got it back, the MacBook Pro runs a LOT cooler than it did before, the fans seldom come on, and the random heat-related popping has stopped altogether.

Mar 19, 2018 12:09 AM in response to Marcelo269

Marcelo,

You have done the right thing so far. I think it is time to take the matter higher.

Can you write a diary as part of a formal letter of complaint and address it to the manager of the store, asking for an appointment. Particularly, point out the indecisive explanations you have received and that as time goes by, you warranty is declining.

Give then a chance to rectify the situation but if unsuccessful, send a second letter advising them you will have to take the matter up with Apple's Cupertino HQ if they fail to properly repair the machine in 14 days. And do that if necessary.

Unfortunately I am unaware of the US consumer protection legislation (if it exists). Here in the UK I could guide you all the way.

Mar 21, 2018 3:10 AM in response to Oso Grande

Hello,

Thanks for answering and participating.

On my computer, the first issue, seemed to come from the top case of the screen itself. Kind of a physical expansion and contraction.

This time the noise seems to be both physical and mechanical. Everytime I turn on the computer or screen from sleep, I get the same click noise.

Also when moving and open the lid, clack. Fortunately I recorded a video on Genius bar where I open the lid and the attendant confirma she hear the sound. In case if they come to me with the allegation that they didn't hear the sound.

I also have videos from both cases, I'll ve uploading very soon.

Another thing that happened at Genius Bar was that by my side there was a guy with a problem on his macbook screen also. According to him, when he opened the screen the screw pop up and broke the bottom of the screen. I can't speak for him but the funny thing is the Apple technician told him a new screen would be $500, while for me the attendant gave the certain that there was a problem with the screens. So if I understand right, the guy was buying a defective screen in advance????

Man, really, I'm ****** off.

My computer was already received on repair and I keep waitIng and being damaged by this company. I dont have my money, I dont have my computer, and I dont have even a guarantee that the manufacturer defects will be solved!!

Regards,

Mar 25, 2018 8:47 PM in response to Marcelo269

Apple deleted my updated here 3 times abd counting. I'm trying again:

So I went to Apple Store to have my computer back from the second repair on March 22.

They again sent to Memphis (second time in less than 15 days).

They claimed they changed the screen again, but now, curiously, they said they found a problem on the built in audio as shown in the receipt I got.

I made sure to be able to identify if they had changed the screen this time or not and they didn't. In the first time they did. So they're lying on the receipt. (!!)

Took my computer back home to test it since it was impossible on Apple Store and Boom! Exactly the same problems described after the first repair. Another proof that they had not change the screen.

Took my computer right way back to Apple Store telling then I wouldn't accept because it was not fixed. There, an attendant took my computer to the back office to check if he could hear the sound. (I lost the count of how many time the attendants did that. By this time maybe all of them already been through my case).

He came back telling me that he didn't hear anything.

Then I told him I had videos of the problem and that I wanted to talk to the manager because I wouldn't accept this.

He went back and after a long wait he came with 2 technicians. I had to repeat for the 10th time all the situations I had. They took (again) my computer to the back office, and now came back telling me they had heard the popping sounds. One of them checked on his iPad some information and confirmed that is something that is happening to Macbook computers.

He said me it could be a glue heating and they probably could not much to solve this (!!!!). So he told me he would took again to repair, this time in store, to change the screen again, and would call me in 24-48h.

They just didn't. I had to call and after being very poorly attended, had to go myself there to have an answer on what was happenning.

This time the manager came and asked me basically "why I was there" (!!!). Seems like they do everything so you feel bad to be going after the warranty and your consumer rights.

I explained (again) all the situations. I told her I was being damaged, lost MBA homework assigments, jobs tasks interviews, jobs from my company, and that I could not wait anymore for a third or fourth repair, that I wanted a new macbook exaclty the same as mine working properly. She told me it was not an option (!!!).

Also she told me the technicians hadn't had the chance to work on my computer but that they would so between yesterday night (March 24th) and today (March 25th), commiting to call me between 11-11:30am today.

I had to leave the store without any solution and without my $3000 computer (!!!!!).

She called 20 minutes ago telling me that after testing isolating the computer parts (!!!) they found a problem in both fans and in the antena, that were not working properly.

They told me they ordered the parts for this third repair and they may have the computer fixed on March 30th (!!!!).

I'm getting close to 1 month without my computer soon. I have this computer for 6 months on March 27th and I haven't had peace since I bought it.

I bought a problem for $3000.

I checked the country laws and found that if the product has a manufacturing defect, after a reasonable repair times, they MUST give me a new unit. But they keep telling me on Apple that is not an option.

It's clear they don't know what the issue is and that it may come back with the same problem, if not with more problems, since they has opened my entire new computer for the third time now.

The computer hasn't not a single scratch or dent, never took out of my room unless to take to Apple for repair, and always used the Tech21 case bought on Apple Store as well (the mlst expensive option for macbook cases they offer).

This is a lack of respect with the consumers.

Apr 3, 2018 4:05 PM in response to Marcelo269

Updating my case:

I went to Apple on 29 March to have my computer back from the third repair.

I was told by the manager that according to the technicians, the popping sounds and cracking sounds moving the screen were an 'expected behavior'.

When they brought my computer, before I even open the lid, I notice a big dent, damage on the top of the computer. I was already on a call with a senior apple care advisor whileI was waiting the computer.

I was narrating to them what was going on in real time even before the manager come with the computer.

Then she saw the damage, waited while I was talking with the advisor and minutes later came with a new unit, without many complaints or arguments. The reason was that the computer was "damaged durain repair".

They gave me a new receipt and full warranty.

But even then, it is not a guarantee that is not going's to happen again.

I really don't know what would happen if I had taken the computer back home and noticed the damage later. Probably the warranty would have gotten avoided and I would have to keep a defective product or pay them to repair. That's terrible.

I'll keep the track of the new unit in this forum for sure.

They need to do a recall for this.

Macbook Pro Mid 2017 popping sound. Defective screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.