Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Splitting stereo track into two mono tracks

I did a phone interview using my audio recorder that makes two seperate mono tracks. When uploading the file to FCPX, it made it one stereo track. I want to split that stereo track into two separate mono tracks but cannot figure out how to do this.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4, Fingerprint id scanner

Posted on Mar 28, 2018 4:25 PM

6 replies

Mar 28, 2018 5:22 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I'm expecting to see two audio tracks in my Timeline: one with my voice track on it which I can then edit all by itself, and then a second audio track with the other person's voice on it that I can then separately edit. I should be able to do this because I recorded the phone interview on my own audio recorder that has two channels: one track for my voice and another track for the other person's voice.

But when I import this audio file into FCPX, it automatically makes it stereo. Going into the audio configuration and selecting "dual mono" does not split it into two seperate tracks in the timeline: it keeps my voice and the other person's voice on one single track.

Splitting stereo track into two mono tracks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.