Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CarPlay Disconnects When VPN is Connected

I would love to see an official response from Apple on this issue, but given that CarPlay doesn't get the same attention as a lot of their other initiatives, I'll be pleasantly surprised if Apple respond.

Setup

• I have a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX connected in the car.
  • I have an iPhone X connected via lightning cable to the back of the console.
  • I have the Private Internet Access VPN software installed and configured.

Issue

Whenever the iPhone X is connected to the Pioneer console and CarPlay is running, if the VPN is connected, every 5 or 10 minutes, CarPlay will completely disconnect, interrupting audio, phone calls, etc.

Steps to Resolve

• Disable the VPN connection
  • Re-connect to CarPlay

Reasons this is a valid problem

• In these modern times, as in times past, privacy is becoming a huge concern as technology makes leaps. In order to protect our privacy, we are becoming more reliant on technologies that help protect our privacy such as a VPN.
  • Given that ISPs have become less and less trustworthy with our information, and that they have knowingly shaped traffic based on the types of packets coming through, and that we no longer have a federal Net Neutrality regulation on the books in the United States, it has become imperative that we seek shelter from this ever-growing surveillance state. VPNs help in this matter, to a certain degree.

It would be ideal to at least understand the nature of this problem, or most ideal to get a fix. I do not know how long this has been going on, if it is an underlying connectivity conflict, or if it is even something that can be fixed, but an official response would go a long way to at least recognizing what our options truly are.

Thank you!

Posted on Mar 29, 2018 11:53 AM

Similar questions

12 replies

Mar 29, 2018 1:23 PM in response to ulkesh

*sigh*

No matter where you are on the Internet, a troll is close behind.

Anyone else happen to have useful information instead of assumptions and fabrications? I would like to understand what, if any, possibilities there are in keeping the VPN connection active while connected to CarPlay without CarPlay disconnecting.

Mar 29, 2018 12:26 PM in response to KiltedTim

Thanks for breaking it to me. Maybe you can explain why, then, with citations. Because I've yet to see anything that shows it's compromising my privacy more than any current ISP in the US.

And if Apple doesn't reply here, fine, maybe someone who has some useful information or insight about this issue will reply.

Mar 29, 2018 12:53 PM in response to KiltedTim

Cats wish to murder us. You don't have to believe me if you don't want to, but it's true. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/10/31/cat-lion-psychological -traits/74941388/

Easy to Google and find a link to back up anything someone says. That's called confirmation bias. Thanks for the link you provided as it anecdotally shows I made a good choice in VPN provider: "Our top choice for VPN service, Private Internet Access..."

I know how VPNs work. I know it is a trust game unless I run my own, which I'm considering doing. Right now the ISPs are doing everything they can to eliminate that trust and doing a great job of it. So I trust PIA way more than AT&T or Comcast, especially with their stance on Net Neutrality and their proven lack of logging.

As for my specific problem, I am not the only one with this issue. Many people using many different types of VPN connections have experienced the same issue (and many people have also said they have not experienced it). I will not remove the app. I do have a workaround, just not one I want and was hoping for some actionable information such as "Apple knows about it and is working on a fix," or "Apple has already addressed this here <link>," or "Apple hasn't yet responded and no one knows what's up, but yours is next in a long line of complaints about this."

Mar 29, 2018 12:39 PM in response to ulkesh

Survey: Your VPN Service May Not Be That Private After All

You get no more privacy protection by using your VPN service than you do by just trusting it to your ISP or cellular carrier.

You don't have to believe me if you don't want to, but it's true. ISPs and cellular carriers are regulated to at least some degree. Your VPN provider is not. They can do whatever they like with the data flowing over their network... not to mention the fact that at some point, the data has to leave their network to reach the destination, leaving it just as vulnerable as it would be without the VPN.

As to your specific problem, that's not an Apple service or app. If it causes you problems, disable or remove it. It's obviously interfering with the connection to your car.

Mar 29, 2018 1:15 PM in response to ulkesh

I have a complete understanding of the issue.

What did the developer of the VPN app say when you reported the problem to them?

It seems to me that you're actually trying to promote your politics more than you're trying to solve a technical problem, since your reasoning for why it's a valid problem are entirely political rather than technical...

So... net neutrality is weakened... great, lets throw all our eggs into a for profit basket that is completely unregulated. Sure. That makes sense...

Mar 30, 2018 1:33 PM in response to ulkesh

So, here’s the thing. KiltedTim is actually correct.

The only “citation” needed is that CarPlay works fine natively; the issue only occurs when a third party app (unrelated to Apple) and service (also unrelated to Apple) are introduced. Ergo, the problem is caused by said app and service.

You should reach out to the developer to report the issue, and in the mean time continue to use your workaround.

If you truly believe it to be an Apple issue, get in contact with Apple directly and see what they have to say.

Apr 22, 2018 6:39 PM in response to ulkesh

So I have been using a VPN for quite some time and have been using CarPlay since it was introduced in my 2016 vehicle. I work for an auto manufacturer so I get to change cars out every 6 months or so. Last Wednesday, I had a 2017 model year and CarPlay worked fine with my VPN (which I usually never turn off). Thursday when I got my 2018 (same make and model) CarPlay wouldn’t connect. After much troubleshooting, I got it down to the VPN. I came here looking for an answer... I’m glad I’m not the only one.

Apr 23, 2018 3:04 AM in response to KiltedTim

Long story short, I work in the far corner of a concrete building inside another concrete building of a manufacturing facility so the cellular signal is pretty bad. I can usually make phone calls, some iMessages go through, but data is almost non-existent. Since the coverage is so bad, I join the guest wireless network. Well, the guest wireless is QoS through the floor, like 600kb/s. Using a VPN bypasses the QoS restrictions so I just leave it on. I have unlimited data usage with my client so it doesn’t really matter that I leave it on all the time.

CarPlay Disconnects When VPN is Connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.